Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Seeking advice on covering Big Board >

Seeking advice on covering Big Board

Seeking advice on covering Big Board

Old 02-26-2018, 02:32 AM

Default Seeking advice on covering Big Board

My hubby has put together a “big board” which sits on top of my ironing board. It is 1/2 inch maple plywood. Should I put a layer of tinfoil first, then cotton batting and then canvas? Thinking that the tinfoil will help protect the wood from moisture and swelling... your thoughts?
Old 02-26-2018, 03:55 AM

My hubby did the same thing for me. I went to JoAnn's and bought both the board protection fabric and fabric covering from them. The woman at the cutting table knew exactly what I needed. I don't recall what's underneath the fabric I chose.

Underneath the fabric is something that is both water resistant and heat resilient. The top fabric I chose from their decorator fabrics. It has worked out great for me.

I wouldn't use tinfoil.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:18 AM

I also went to JoAnn’s and they have the quilted silver fabric for ironing boards. It works great. I was concerned about the quilting but it doesn’t make lines on the quilt block.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:31 AM

That's what I did when I made a 72 X 48 ironing table to sit over a banquet table. I saw a YouTube video that showed how to do it. It makes sense to put something down so the wood doesn't get wet. I used cotton duck cloth from Joann's. I've been using it for about a year now and while the sides are getting a bit worn, the whole thing is still stable and level.
Old 02-26-2018, 05:15 AM

My board is about 10 years old. I think I used old towels under the cotton duck cover. Lately I noticed the board (18” wide”) is becoming uneven (edges are curling upward) so DH will make me a new board soon. I have a wool army blanket which I plan to use under the cover for padding. I love my board.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:34 AM

If you put tinfoil it will not grab. Watch Sharon Schamber's "Perfect Pressing Board"
on Youtube. I have a small board like Sharon then a big board.
I just change the board/batting/canvas when it starts getting uneven.
I didn't bother with the glue for the big one...just stretch and staple the whole
thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LGbXou_u4c
[h=3][/h]
Old 02-26-2018, 08:56 AM

I used outdoor plywood so that the extra moisture would not affect the wood for at least a while. I just covered mine in quilted grey ironing board cover, also got at JoAnn's. See the other thread.

Marcia
Old 02-26-2018, 01:12 PM

Another vote for cotton duck for the cover. I think what's best underneath is personal preference, I put 2 layers of that batting that has the metal stuff in it, someone help me out with what it's called? But I will say that for quilting and sewing, I much prefer a cotton duck cover over the silver cover. The silver stuff is a bit slippery and better for ironing clothes, while the cotton duck has a bit of a non-stick factor and holds onto blocks and fabrics a bit better, which makes it easier to press them.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:27 PM

I don't use steam so was not worried about water - I just used batting covered by cotton duck.
Old 02-26-2018, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
I used outdoor plywood so that the extra moisture would not affect the wood for at least a while. I just covered mine in quilted grey ironing board cover, also got at JoAnn's. See the other thread.

Marcia
I already bought the maple plywood, I could have bought the outdoor stuff for a lot less, but was concerned about fumes when heat is applied - that stuff is full of glue. I’m probably just being paranoid.

I don’t use steam when pressing, but do often mist water on my fabric to help remove wrinkles and stubborn fold lines. So I ended up putting the foil on first, then stapled 2 layers of cotton batting. Would have liked to use the duck canvas/cotton, but try to find that around here. The staff at Fabricville look at me like I’m from Mars and show me burlap! So I used a long piece of cotton muslin I had.

Thanks for all the feedback. Hopefully my big board will last a long time, looking forward to using it when I’m putting those long rows together.