Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
serger purchase >

serger purchase

serger purchase

Old 09-18-2010, 09:18 AM

so i stopped at a yard sale that was closing up and she had a serger (pic below) for sale - she wanted 15$ but i only had 11$ with me so she took that. she bought used but never used it - it does work. i have never used one and not even sure if i needed it but what a deal, huh? is this going to be a machine that is more complicated to use than worth? not sure even what to use it for! why so many thread holders?

serger
[ATTACH=CONFIG]101526[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-101521.jpe  
Old 09-18-2010, 09:20 AM
Power Poster

It has 4 spool holders because it uses 4 spools of thread. I think the older machines sometimes are better than the new ones. Is there a book? If not, I would try to get one. You can use a serger for anything that you want a seam that will not fray.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:24 AM

there is a manual. can i use if for just regular sewing, too?
Old 09-18-2010, 09:24 AM

Sergers are great machines and I couldn't make garments, curtains, etc., without one! They do a beautiful rolled him on ruffles, finish seams so they don't ravel, are great for sewing knits, as the stitches give and don't break, and some can do decorative stitching (as in a flatlock stitch). I'm not sure which model of Singer this is, but I agree, some of the older ones are better than the newer ones. I have a 20 year old Pfaff that is going strong.

If you don't have a book, don't unthread it! When you want to change threads, cut your thread near the spool, tie the new color onto the thread and sew or pull it until it comes out the throat plate. Of course, at the needle, you'll have to cut the knot and rethread the needle.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:26 AM

model is 14 U 44 B
Old 09-18-2010, 09:30 AM
Power Poster

My Mom used it a lot in regular sewing. She made my stepdad's t-shirts and finished all of the seams. They looked very professional. When she made my wedding dress and others she serged the seams because that kind of fabric really likes to fray. I really like it to sew denim with mine because it prevents raveling. There are a lot of different things you can do. Somewhere I have a book that I purchased that gave ideas for using sergers. Maybe you could find one or check one out from a library.
My Pfaff that is about 20 years old has several different feet and I can do quite a few things with it.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:31 AM
Power Poster

Sometimes threading is the most difficult. My Mom's was a different brand and it was a bugger to thread. My Pfaff is really easy.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:47 AM

Sergers overcast the seams. Look at a ready-made garment's seam. You'll see thread covering the edge. That is what a serger does. Be careful when you use one. It trims the fabric at the seam as it sews (it looks great but ripping and resewing is not always simple). Sergers greatest use for me was knit type materials. Wovens were harder to handle but I serge them too.

You will have to give yourself a little play time to get to know your machine before. I recommend scrap or ugly fabric to play one. Make some napkins to learn how to use the rolled hem, etc. I love my serger but I do not own this brand.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:50 AM

There are some beautiful quilts made with serged seams You will have a great time playing with it!! Clotilde has a book about serging and quilts.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:58 AM

Don't un thread!!! Use above instructions for tying on new thread. I use my serger all the time, except for inside curves, those are tricky. If you do much sewing, and you get use to it, you will wonder how you did without one!