Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sewed my finger today!!  Have you ever done this???? >

sewed my finger today!! Have you ever done this????

sewed my finger today!! Have you ever done this????

Old 08-15-2011, 06:03 AM

Weeding is just as dangerous. Two days ago I finally got out in the yard to pull out some very healthy weeds (didn't go out all summer due to the heat wave) and one weed got the best of me. I fell back as it came out of the ground and dislocated my little finger. Dr's. visit, xrays and splint resulted. Should have been sewing...
Old 08-15-2011, 06:04 AM

Oh yeah, I did the same thing only I had on acrylic nails. I had to have the needle pulled out and of course a trip to the doctor. Isn't it amazing how careful we are with the rotary cutter but sometimes we forget about the machine.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Happy Linda
I haven't done that but I sneezed when curling my eye lashes and pulled out every lash I had.
Oh my! I am still laughing at the thought of your "bald" eye lid. LOL

Poor you!
Old 08-15-2011, 06:15 AM

Oh, yeah. I was early 20's, sewing on a bridesmaid's dress and,as I hit the foot peddle for one more stitch, the peddle raced and did three stitches. The last one landed right in the middle of my index fingernail. Since I always sew with the needle down, I sat there, tethered to my machine. I actually sat there & thought what the best thing to do would be. I realized I had few choices (and didn't want to bleed on the fabric!). So, I rolled the handwheel, and the needle came out in one piece - even the thread was not broken. I took care of my finger, and marked off one of my "Worse Things I'm Afraid Could Happen" topics. As usual, they're not as bad as the imagining is.
Hope you heal quickly!
Old 08-15-2011, 06:26 AM

AUCH!!! That pain! Hope you are feeling better today! Take care and not make efforts for a couple of days!
A hug!
Old 08-15-2011, 06:28 AM

No needle in any fingers yet but my nail tip caught under the foot screw on the left and when the needle came down it caught, twisted the nail off - I keep them short now!
Old 08-15-2011, 06:37 AM

Oh my...feel better soon... ouchie, ouchie, ouch!
Old 08-15-2011, 06:38 AM

Now, don't you feel better knowing you are not alone? and ALL these quilters being nice enough to share their stories to make you feel better! Yes, I did this once. I had a sleeping baby and was trying to get some sewing done while he napped. Needle went all the way thru , missing the bone, but nicking the nail on the under side. Hurt like the dickens and for a while I thought I was going to pass out. Just walked around the house alone moaning. Must have been a sight!
Old 08-15-2011, 06:40 AM

I just recently was putting a different foot on my machine and I'm not sure how it happened, but my hand slipped and the sewing needle ended up through my pinky nail!!! I felt really dumb and, yes, it hurt :(
Old 08-15-2011, 06:40 AM

Yep did way back almost 20 years now and was just finishing up a dress for mother's day and was putting in the zipper of course it was late at night and did not have a sewing room at the time. I was sewing on the kitchen table just outside my daughters room and my husband was upstairs working on the computer needle came down into my left index finger and broke off leaving a thread tail and punture all the way through. I do not recall it hurting but had to calmly call for my husband to come help without waking my daughter who was 3-4 years old at the time. Had no problem with my husband pulling out the needle or thread but could not look at it as he did it as I am very squeamish about watching needles (hypodermic or otherwise) going through MY skin. Now it could be anyone elses and I have no problem once it is in but cannot watch the process. Good luck and definitely get the tetnus shot and there is some Neosporin out there that has a analgesic pain killer in it that will help.