Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing on the Bias ? >

Sewing on the Bias ?

Sewing on the Bias ?

Old 08-01-2015, 07:36 AM

Location: Live in Michigan, but I'm in Heaven when in my sewing room
Default Sewing on the Bias ?

I am planning on making a quilt with the Kite Plus Ruler. All cuts will be on the bias. The video says to starch the fabric really well to help with the stretching. My question to all of you is, has anyone ever used a very lite weight iron on interfacing instead of heavy starch. If so, does it tend to stiffen the quite once it is complete. I don't want the quilt to be too stiff. Hopefully my question makes sense.

Thanks in advance
Peggy
Old 08-01-2015, 09:07 AM
Power Poster

I think I would just experiment a bit. Get some featherweight iron on interfacing. I would try both non woven and knit types. Iron it on to some scraps, make a block and then decide. Featherweight is not supposed to change the hand of the fabric, but it is going to add some weight.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:49 AM
Power Poster

I would not use interfacing because of the expense and the added weight. If you starch the fabric well and handle it with care you will do just fine. But if you want to add interfacing, you certainly can.
Old 08-01-2015, 12:05 PM
Power Poster

Lightweight interfacing will Not make your blocks stiff, it will change the weight of the quilt, even lightweight adds some weight. But is certainly a viable option.
Old 08-01-2015, 12:05 PM

Even very light weight interfacing/fusible web will still make the quilt stiffer but washing will help. If you're making a wall quilt, that's no problem. If you're making a bed quilt, I probably would go with the heavy starch instead -- or tear away stabilizer.
Old 08-01-2015, 12:57 PM
Power Poster

I would probably opt not to use lightweight interfacing just because starch is easier and has fewer problems. (I have seen interfacings shrink and bubble on occasion.)

For me, the easiest way to heavily starch yardage is to mix a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch and water, "paint" this solution onto the yardage until the fabric is saturated, wait a couple of minutes to make sure the fibers have had time to absorb the starch, toss in the dryer, then iron with steam. My kitchen island provides a great area for doing this. To "paint" the starch solution on the fabric I use a large wall painting brush (costs about $3 at Walmart).

I would *never* use spray starch on yardage. Did this in the past, and it was very slow and time-consuming. It also does not provide the fabric with as much stability as the Sta-Flo method.
Old 08-01-2015, 06:53 PM

I would definitely use starch. Once the quilt is done and washed, it won't be stiff. Too much close quilting will make a quilt stiff also, in my honest opinion.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:43 PM

Location: Live in Michigan, but I'm in Heaven when in my sewing room

Thank you ladies. I guess I knew all of this but wanted some backup reassurance. Prism99, thanks for the tip on painting the starch on. Never thought of that before, it certainly would be faster. I usually use a spray bottle with the Sta-flo mixture. Never thought to put it in the dryer either. Great tips.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:58 PM

I don't use starch very often. I understand that it is great for bias edges but I would probably do as PaperPrincess suggested. Make 3 test blocks with each method. If you did use 1 of the featherweight interfacing you could then use a thinner, lightweight batting. Having lived in MI for 40 yrs, the little extra weight may not matter.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:47 AM

I use Best Press...works for me!