Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Sewing machine - buyers remorse?

No regreats here. I really love my Viking Diamond, I guess it depends on what you need in a sewing machine.

I splurged about 4 years ago and bought the Brother Duetta for Machine Embroidery...I thought I would never want their Quattro. I also came across a Pfaff CV 5.0...and I was told that this was "the machine"...
    I would buy another Duetta, never buy another Pfaff and probably not buy a Quattro. I don't use all the features, but they are nice to have...if you use them.
    I mainly piece, quilt and machine embroider. I don't do zippers, hems nor special stitches. Wish they could do a machine for that!
    Kirsten
    I try and be as good of a human as my dogs think I am.

I also purchased the 10001 Janome. and love it. Use it every day and emb a lot. I also have the 9000 Janome which I purchased 15 yrs ago and it is still going strong. but everyeone has different idea on what they want or will use. Try several out and make sure you have a dealer who will be a big help in case something goes wrong.

Blog Entries
    I bought the Pfaff CV and have regretted it ever since. I have had it 3 years and probably don't even have 8 hours sewing time on it. I have been trying to sell it for the past year.

I have never regretted my Bernina 440 that I bought as a demo. However, a friend got an 820 and has had real mechanical issues with it. She just got it back from the dealer(took forever) and now is going to sell it. Dont buy any machine that does not come with a local dealer and technician.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    I don't have those brands ... though did buy a Janome that to me was high end and at the time of purchase I had some guilty thoughts. Once I started using it ... I've never had any regrets. NOT AT ALL!!! Love it!

The important thing is to do youre research and know what you are buying.

I am a firm believer of buying well ... a little above my current needs, and what I anticipate they will be. It gives some room for growth with less of a need to want to upgrade soon after.

Determine your "needs" list and your "dream" list. Then go shopping and be sure to test drive any of the machines you are considering.

There's lots of good spec lists on the web so that you can compare what the differences are between models. When I bought my last machine, I thought the machine I was looking at was what I wanted ... and asked the dealer to show me the one above, and what the key differences were. Once I heard those, I knew that the upgrade machine was certainly more to my needs than the initial one I was looking at ... yes, as I said a little guilt at the time ... since then, I have been SO SO happy, and probably have done far more sewing because I absolutely love the machine!
    I wholeheartedly agree! Buy bells and whistles only if you need them....and you will avoid the remorse!
    http://www.appalachianquilts.blogspot.com
    http://www.quiltweb.net

I don't think I will do it again. I will buy a separate unit for each job. The high end machines are $8,000.00-$13000.00 here, and that's not counting the extras one is not supplied with for that price. I bought one which was troubled from the start. I did not get good support and so now I just have two cheaper and better ones from a different company. Will never touch anything from the other group again. Hope you have better luck than my experience.

Blog Entries
    I started out 30 some years ago with a White, which at the time was a nice machine and I still have it and use it. Then purchased a simple singer 20 years ago, still have it, still use it...from there to a Bernette Bernina and also picked up a Brother embroidery machine so I could get the feel of doing embroidery work as well. I am still using these also. Now I'm saving up and hoping to purchase a new Bernina as well as a long arm sometime this year. I'm so excited and hope you find the machine that will work for you. I think going this route has paid off for me. I have had no regrets and also been able to try out several different brands before taking the "big" plunge in to high end machine.

Never never never...life is short and I intend to enjoy every minute of it.

Blog Entries
    The new Bernina is really nice my Mother was looking at it & she was telling me all about it. I have owned several Janome machines right now have the 11000 but have been very disappointed.

Ditto Raggiemom on this topic. I bought a Babylock that was $2K, a lot of money for me, and I almost immediately hated it. It was too much machine, I was never going to use all the complicated memory functions and every time I wanted to do something I had to look it up. The bobbin didn't hold nearly as much thread as I wanted. It bugged me that it wasn't in a cabinet, I hated sewing using the extension table it came with. I ended up selling it and took a big hit but the person who bought it loves it, so there you go. I got a great old Bernina 1130 in a cabinet from a guy who was selling it in an estate sale. It has needle down, wonderful old Bernina feet and purrs like a kitten.

If you are going to spend big money I suggest that you ask your dealer for a loaner and use the machine for a week or two before you make up your mind.

I purchased the new Bernina 830 about a year ago. I do not get to sew on it as often as I would like to, but when I do it is awesome. This is not my first Bernina so I was familiar with the brand, the quality, and the dealer where it was purchased.

mltquilt

I have two high end Bernina machines and have never regretted it. They do anything you ask them to do. No whining, grumbling, or rumbling ever (from me or the machine).

I bought a Viking sewing and embroidery machine at least six years ago for $6000 and have never regreted it. Beautiful work and needs no repair so far.

Blog Entries
    I have two pfaffs, love them both, and i wouldnt buy any other brand. make sure you get what u want and that you will be happy with, test drive a few especially the one you want to buy. Good Luck
    Mary

$$$ pricey machine?

I treated myself to a Viking designer Diamond a couple years ago. It has everything but an eyebrow plucker! My only regret is I don't have time to learn all it can do. Its my second high end Viking. Love it.

I bought a Bernina Series 8 - Model 820 machine 1 1/2 yrs. ago & was very intimidated at first, but after using it, the adage of "you get what you pay for" is very evident in this machine. I asked for referrals & was told, the Bernina line is so expensive because of "what's under the hood" meaning - no plastic parts here. All I can say is, if you want quality then it costs more. In Canada, the 820 ranges up to $8500. - I paid $7500. & had guilt following the sale but changed my mind within a short time of using it. You must decide what features you want & which features you MAY have limited use for & make your decision based on that. Look at potential future uses so you don't wish you had upgraded in the first place & end up selling (always at a loss) because you "should have" gone top of the line to begin with.
    Dance like no one is watching

I have purchased two Berninas and two were gifted. My husband made me feel guilty when I bought the first one for 1000 dollars, but I kept him around LOL and twenty years later he bought my second Bernina for $3,600. and then helped me buy my Bernina 820 for $6000 a few months ago. That old saying " You get what you pay for" is so true when it comes to machines. Can you justify that high end purchase? If so, then do it and you won't regret it.

What you decide to purchase depends on your comfort level with sewing and spending money on your hobby. I've had a few issues with my Bernina 830 but all of them were fixed promptly and covered under warranty. Ive had no issues at all with my Janome MC11K SE. In my 40+ years of sewing, purchased a few low end machines, many years ago. I learned quickly that I could only sew as good as my machine allowed me to sew; the tech saw my machine more than I did. Since then, I started buying top of the line(TOL) machines and never regretted it. TOL machines have allowed me to grow into several different types of sewing. Sure, I did not always use every feature of the machine right away but when I was ready to learn something new, I had a machine with the functionality to support my growth. Sewing what I do, everyday, all day long. I have kept almost every machine that I purchased and regretted selling two of them online. I only purchase vintage machines from eBay, Craigslist, and garage sales as these machines can usually be repaired and restored for minimal cost. Only buy higher end machines at a dealer where the warranty will be honored. Many used high end machines sold by individuals do not have transferable warranties. The lower prices on eBay, Craigslist, and garage sales are extremely enticing but they come without a warranty. You owe it to yourself to thoroughly test every machine that interests you before buying and buy where they offer no interest financing, whenever possible. IMHO, every machine company has a 'special feature' not found on other brands. Even though a sales person says their machine is the 'do all-be all' machine, it's really not. Find the best dealer support, then find your best machine that dealer sells.

I bought my Pfaff 7550 back in '95 for about $3,000.+. It has tons of embroidery stitches that I only used a couple of times. I was sorry I paid so much for a machine that had all these stitches that I would never use. I did find that the machine itself was great. When I started quilting I found that this same machine that I had thought of selling time and again was able to do FMQ. I really love this machine now. It still works like a new machine. It is a solid machine and it does what I need it to do. I have no regrets and I found that there is nothing out there that has what I want that my machine can't do.........except for a longarm!

I have the Husqvarna Diamond and the Designer SE -had buyers remorse for about 5 seconds,lol-they are wonderful trouble free machines.If you love to sew and can use some of the features-go for it.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

I have two Berninas, a 1630 and a 180 with embroidery module. They were top of the line when I bought them and have never regretted either of them. The 1630 still purrs like the sweet kitten she is. The 180 has many more features and I do use many of them.....sooooo just enjoy what you choose and never look back!!
    Linda

Quote Originally Posted by mardilee View Post
    I bought a Janome 11000SE for $5000 about three years ago. I love it and use it almost every day. The only thing I didn't figure on is how much money I spend on embroidery supplies and equipment (software, upgrades, extra hoops, threads, etc.) Sewing/quilting is not a cheap hobby:-)
    I bought a Janome 11000SE for $7600 about 2-3yrs ago. I feel the same. I love this machine & wouldn't trade it. But sewing/quilting/embroidery is an expensive hobby. Still I wouldn't trade my machine. I have not had any problems with it.

Blog Entries
    I bought a Janome 10000 over 10 years ago, and love it to this day. I don't use the embroidery anymore, and for quilting the harp was too short. This janome was top of the line.

Last year I bought the Viking Sapphire Quilting - mid range price. I do not like it, it is loud, doesn't run smooth. I wish I went and bought the top of the line used instead of a new sapphire. I do like the large harp, cannot get it to do free motion quilting smoothly like I can on the Janome. I am a novice in fmq.
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

Blog Entries
    I do love this "board", or whatever the correct word is. I have been sitting here for an hour going through all the comments on buying sewing and long arm sewing machines. In all of my collection of a bunch of machines (I used to buy shoes; now I buy sewing machines....) the ones I like best are the Elna Supermatic that I bought new in l986 because it was 50 years old the same year I was; and the Gammill that I bought in 2007 because I wanted a new quilting machine (long story that); I am not a serious buyer of anything--I just buy whatever I am currently in the mood to buy, and am now lucky enough to have a husband who spends as much on toys as he wants, so lets me spend as much on toys as I want, if that makes any kind of sense. Spend your money on whatever you love--you'll never regret it.....

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast