Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Sewing Machine Dealer Problem---UGH

Unhappy Sewing Machine Dealer Problem---UGH

I took my machine to an authorized dealer for the brand that I own. He has had the machine almost one month now. When I called him---he told me he was waiting for a gauge from the from the main company. I asked him about maybe needing to send it back to the factory. He said that may happen. He has hours and hours into this now and cannot fix it so far. He asked me if I had the original box and I said no, I would just take it to a pack mail place to have it shipped. He said he could ship it from there.

I am betting there will be a bill from him and I feel I owe him nothing. He has failed to fix the machine. I would like your thoughts on this and any experience you may have already had. I am thinking maybe I need to get my husband to go with me and just get the machine back. I would go to small claims court if he tried to hold onto to it because he feels he is owed money.

Blog Entries
    Is it under a warranty? He may charge you for a cleaning and consult.

No it is not. He did not clean it as I had it cleaned my a very local man about a week before the problem. He tried to blame it on that---but it sewed just fine for several days before. This place is over an hour away. He has a reputation for being difficult but other than sending it to the factory--he is the only dealer unless I want to drive 3 hours.

Perhaps the company has a policy of things like this. I am really trying to give him the benefit of the doubt and have been more than patient.

This happened to me too and I wasn't charged anything.

I think I would bite the bullet and drive the 3 hours...don't think this guy really knows how to fix it. Hope it ends well...
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

Call the company and voice your concern. I don't know what brand machine you have, but, for example, if it's a Brother, call the Brother corporation and talk to a customer service person and tell him the problem you are having with the dealer. Tell them the dealer is going to send it to the factory but you would like someone to follow up on it for you. If the dealer is difficult, the only way you can get satisfaction is for the company to intercede on your behalf. His license with them is at stake, you would be surprised how quickly problems get solved when you are put in the position of "going upstairs". Don't wait for a bill, get assistance now.
    Thought for EVERY Day: You know all those things you've always wanted to do? You should go do them.

I agree with lalaland!!!
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

Blog Entries
    Waiting for a part is not working on it. When my machine was in the shop I called every day to check what was happening. I didn't care I was annoying. I was paying for a job to be done. It will be better to call the district sales dealer not the head company for faster results. If this dealer does not do what is right by you then word of mouth is all it takes to be sure everyone knows. This is why I like being a guild member. We stick together when it comes to customer complaints about our machines.
    Got fabric?

Aren't you jumping the gun? So far the repair man hasn't given you a bill, and he hasn't failed to fix the machine since he's waiting for the arrival of a part. I don't think a month is unusual since shops often have a backlog and don't put the newer machines on the bench until they're finished with the ones already there. So, although you've been without the machine for a month, he probably hasn't been working on it that long. He probably wants to ship the machine himself if that becomes necessary because he can be sure it's properly packed. Mailing places do not necessarily know how to pack sewing machines.

Did you receive any paperwork when you dropped off the machine? I would expect that it would include an estimated repair bill, or that the shop would call you with an estimate after determining what's wrong with the machine.

Thanks for the input. The only paperwork I received was a tiny receipt. The thing he is waiting for is not a part but a gauge that is used to work on machines. I have talked to him 4 times and he went ON and ON about how long he has worked on this machine.

I do not like people that badmouth others and he did this repeatedly about the man who cleaned my machine. He also did this about another dealer. My DH was there and thought it VERY unprofessional.

I love this brand of machine and have refrained from mentioning it. When it is repaired I know of a fabulous dealer in PA who will get my repair work from now on. I will gladly pay the shipping charges to get good customer service.

Oh, so sorry. A good businessman doesn't badmouth anyone, because it's sure to hurt his business eventually, plus it's just mean. I feel so lucky to have purchased from a nearby shop with a really good reputation. I know it's not possible for everyone to do that. Shipping the machine is not a good thing either because of possible damage. I hope you can find someone local who can do a better job of repair.

I just got off the phone with this dealer and he sent it back to the factory. He never called to let me know this or ask if I wanted that done. And it will be coming back to him. I am happy it will get fixed but feel this is just another poor business practice.

Power Poster
    Hope you get your machine back soon and in good running order - with a reasonable repair bill!

This thread has been very interesting. My DH is starting his own machine repair business next month and these are all excellent customer service issues that need to be paid attention to.

Blog Entries
    I had a similar issue with a Hoover carpet cleaner. It was brand new and after 3 months it stopped suctioning water out of the carpet. I took it into the dealer 8 times in one year. They never got it to work properly for longer than 10 minutes. I was ready to never ever purchase another Hoover again! After the warranty had expired, the dealer started charging me an hourly rate to fix what had never worked properly in the first place. I called the manufacturer in frustration. Turns out there had been a design flaw in the water collection bucket, and the manufacturer had issued free replacements of the bucket. My dealer had not replaced the bucket nor informed me of the flaw. I expressed my unhappiness with the dealer, the manufacturer sent the replacement bucket directly to my home and extended my warranty another year - not that I ever needed it again. The machine has worked beautifully ever since. They also dropped that dealer! He went out of business shortly after that.

I hope you are able to resolve the issue with your dealer soon and get your baby back!

Blog Entries
    Never mind.
    Last edited by Rose L; 04-12-2012 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Update changed response
    Janome D1822/Janome 4618LE/1946 Singer 15-91 in original cabinet
    Bailey 17 Pro/Grace Original GMQ Frame with No-Flex carriage upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    I had a similar issue with a Hoover carpet cleaner. It was brand new and after 3 months it stopped suctioning water out of the carpet. I took it into the dealer 8 times in one year. They never got it to work properly for longer than 10 minutes. I was ready to never ever purchase another Hoover again! After the warranty had expired, the dealer started charging me an hourly rate to fix what had never worked properly in the first place. I called the manufacturer in frustration. Turns out there had been a design flaw in the water collection bucket, and the manufacturer had issued free replacements of the bucket. My dealer had not replaced the bucket nor informed me of the flaw. I expressed my unhappiness with the dealer, the manufacturer sent the replacement bucket directly to my home and extended my warranty another year - not that I ever needed it again. The machine has worked beautifully ever since. They also dropped that dealer! He went out of business shortly after that.

I hope you are able to resolve the issue with your dealer soon and get your baby back!
    isn't karma wonderful? I always know it's there but getting to witness it? as mastercard says, priceless!

I thought I would update you all on this continuing problem. After 5 weeks he DECIDED without my permission to mail it to the factory. I found this out 2 days after it happened when calling for an update. I wanted to send it to another dealer if he was not able to repair it. The factory charges $100 an hour plus he would have billed me for all his hours of not repairing it.

I was furious and called the corporate headquarters. They would not say anything bad about the man or even apologize for so much trouble but did admit he should not have done that. BUT when I talked to him, he was like a whipped puppy. So they must have talked to him.

They refused to mail it back to me--but sent it to him. THAT made him have to mail it to me.

I called the out of town dealer I bought it from and he said to send it right to them. They have their repair policy clearly stated on their website. they always call with an estimate. It went off 2 days ago. I really tried to support my local dealer and avoid costly shipping.

He is out quite a bit of money for the simple reason he failed to communicate with me. I hope he learned a valuable lesson from all this.

I have a smaller machine that I have been able to use all this time. Once this is resolved, I will be writing a letter to corporate headquarters with the good and the bad. I took names...lol.

My machine came back from Alabama. They said it was a VERY easy fix. They have a minimum to charge and that was fine for what they did. They raised the feed dogs a bit and lengthened the stitching. It works great now.

I will return the box to the original dealer. He mailed me back the WRONG footpedal even though mine had my name on the bottom of it. He sent some cheap one that comes with the low cost machine. He is holding mine hostage until I return his box. I used mine that came with the smaller Janome.

Corporate will be getting a long letter with the good and bad.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by luvstoquilt301 View Post
    My machine came back from Alabama. They said it was a VERY easy fix. They have a minimum to charge and that was fine for what they did. They raised the feed dogs a bit and lengthened the stitching. It works great now.

I will return the box to the original dealer. He mailed me back the WRONG footpedal even though mine had my name on the bottom of it. He sent some cheap one that comes with the low cost machine. He is holding mine hostage until I return his box. I used mine that came with the smaller Janome.

Wow, what a complete hassle. Hope you get your foot pedal back. I think that's going to be a long, ugly letter.

Blog Entries
    I kind of went thru the same thing. I took my machine to my LQS for my old machine and the sent it to the repair person they used. He called me awhile after that and at first told me how much the part was new then called back and said he found the part used. It was still going to be alot of money but my machine holds it value so I wanted it fixed. It was months later and then the store stopped working with him and at first they were going to try and fix it with the new person but I bought my Ruby instead and since I had a warranty thru the person I had originally got the machine from but couldn't get in touch with at first. I told them I would send it to him. There was no charge. I paid 25 to take it to UPS and have the box it up so that it would be warranted and shipped it off and it didn't even need any parts just adjustments. I guess that guy was just trying to get money from me. It almost worked. It sounds like you need someone else to look at your machine. Rather it's the factory or another dealer. I know here we have the Sew and Vacs and a few others that are authorized for most machines but if you have a warranty you may be better off with the factory. I wouldn' t pay him anything either.
    Judy

I just got off the phone with this dealer and he sent it back to the factory. He never called to let me know this or ask if I wanted that done. And it will be coming back to him. I am happy it will get fixed but feel this is just another poor business practice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post

Stories like the above made me avoid the little guys merchants of anything-be it sewing machines, carpet cleaners, vacuum cleaners, or even bicycles from local to me based dealers anymore. With the household products listed, I buy from the big box stores, select brands with some durability proven reliability, and/or positive reviews about it, and use until it breaks. Then buy another one as most are imported from some far east country nowadays. I know people are going to be very mad at me for not supporting the smaller businesses, but I had enough with them with my own horror stores and victimization for a lifetime (and large bills too).

End of runaround headaches-and huge bills.
    Last edited by Bicycle Hobo; 05-15-2012 at 06:32 PM.

One of the MOST annoying parts was when I talked to corporate headquarters. They made it sound like it was my fault.
    I understand being loyal to your dealer----but I am the customer. 3 months with the ole coot---3 weeks to mail it out of state, get repaired and mailed back to me.

I just put on 3 bindings and it work great.

Glad it is finally fixed, sorry it was such a horrible hassle. There is NO excuse for such poor service, and with the internet these days it is a shot in the foot!