Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Machine Emergency!!! >

Sewing Machine Emergency!!!

Sewing Machine Emergency!!!

Old 12-20-2009, 05:16 PM

Good for you! I do the same. I bought one of those little vacuum cleaner attachments, and it sucks all the lint out. I then check my manuel to see where I need to oil and clean, and get it all cleaned out. If it needs a good cleaner in the area of the bobbin case, I use wd 40 spray, just a little spray, and clean it with a soft cotton cloth, and then put a drop of oil on the hook when I put it back in. Amazing what a little tlc can do. If I have a major problem THEN I take it to the shop. Saves a lot of heartache when you learn to clean your machine. Happy sewing.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:19 PM

My library has a book on sewing machine repairs. I haven't checked it out yet but plan on doing so after the first of the year.
Not sure about Kenmore but you can find service/repair manuals for Singer, on e-bay & Singer's website.
The older machines are relatively simple to repair & usually sew really well. I bought an old Singer at an auction recently for $10 - look around & you might find a prize for a back up machine (or the Kenmore might become the backup!)
Good luck.
Jo
Old 12-20-2009, 07:47 PM

Wow. 35.00 I pay 50.oo to 80.oo to get mine serviced and I have to go about 50 miles to the shop. I also have to wait a few weeks to get it back. I tried one closer. When I got it back they had lost the bobbin spindle and one of the levelers on the bottom of the machine. After complaining I got a spindle but never got the leveler. They said they couldn't get parts for Elnas. I now take mine to a Bernina dealer that has service man that will work on all brands. He is good and I get mine back sooner usually but it costs 79.99 for service.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:59 AM

Hi Gynw, sure wish I were closer to Brighten City, I am in Cedar City Ut. My kenmore is at least 32 yrs old [ i got it used in 1978] and still running like a champ, it does deserve a good tune-up after the holidays. I was told I could start looking at new machines sometime this next yr. but I will be keeping this old friend who has been very faithfull.
Great Question...Awesome Message Board...Happy Holidays!!!
dee
p.s. who just finished up the last 2 christmas quilts yesterday, now spending today wrapping. Again I apologize for not posting much but I do keep up w/ the messages and learning so much from all of you.
Attached Images  
Old 12-21-2009, 09:07 AM

Bella so glad you got the machine working so you could finish your projects...whewww breathing a sign of relief for you. Been there done that...I had to give IOU's that yr.
What a awesome/creative idea you used before taking your machine in for repairs. I so hope I remember some of your tips. We only have one sew/vac dealer in the lil town of Cedar City and I so hope I can trust him. I have only been in his shop once when I needed a new light bulb for my trusty kenmore and I didn't get warm fuzzies from him.
dee
Old 12-21-2009, 11:37 AM

You Can't help but love this group.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by craftiladi
Bella so glad you got the machine working so you could finish your projects...whewww breathing a sign of relief for you. Been there done that...I had to give IOU's that yr.
What a awesome/creative idea you used before taking your machine in for repairs. I so hope I remember some of your tips. We only have one sew/vac dealer in the lil town of Cedar City and I so hope I can trust him. I have only been in his shop once when I needed a new light bulb for my trusty kenmore and I didn't get warm fuzzies from him.
dee
I go through Cedar City about twice a year on my way to California. Do you have a really good quilt store in your area?

My heart goes out to you about not getting warm fuzzies from your repair man. I had that problem in California and now I have it here. If something breaks, I'm going to drive an hour to the next Brady's store and have them repair it rather then the man who does it here. Sometimes you can find someone who repairs machines doing it out of their home. Maybe someone in your area does this.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:14 PM

Tiffany..we have Grannys Quilt Shop I only go there to drool...lol and like I said Ace Hardware sells really nice fabric. If you have time the next time through give me a call and we can fabric shop hop...all 3 places lol.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by craftiladi
Tiffany..we have Grannys Quilt Shop I only go there to drool...lol and like I said Ace Hardware sells really nice fabric. If you have time the next time through give me a call and we can fabric shop hop...all 3 places lol.
I would love that! Likely I won't be going through there until March or the summer months, but I'll definitely get in touch with you!
Old 12-21-2009, 09:49 PM

Tiffany, that would be great, just remind me who you are cause as I get older the memory ain't what it used to be, its now worst..lol
Seriously I would love to meet up.
Happy Holidays.
dee