Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machine thread? >

Sewing machine thread?

Sewing machine thread?

Old 11-03-2019, 06:18 AM

Question Sewing machine thread?

If I do decide to buy the sewing/quilting machine then comes question about sewing machine thread.
Have to buy new since it is decades I last machine sewed and the 2 threads I kept are too old.
If I buy is the Singer Patchwork 7285Q or something similar to this, so both sewing/quilting. So looking for advice? No big cones. But normal size.
Old 11-03-2019, 06:53 AM
Power Poster

There are many good brands of sewing thread now. All weights, plys, types, and functions. I would suggest Aurifil because it is not linty, has no slubs, and will give you less trouble from the start. Remember the needle size and type for the size of thread you use is more important then what thread you choose. I use Organ size 75/11 when I use Auriful 50 wt 2 ply thread. Please don't buy the cheapest thread, start with the best brand and work down so you can compare and then decide which one is right for your machine. I use thread by Superior and love Wonderfill brand too. One thread I do stay away from is thread made from left over pieces of short staple cotton woven together.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:00 AM

I always use Aurifil 50/2 and love it. It works on my Janome 6600 and my featherweight. Good luck to you and glad to hear you are getting back into sewing. This is the most relaxing hobby and I love it.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:06 AM

My old vintage sewing machine was not fussy and I've mostly used Coats & Clark Dual Duty for the last 40 years for top, bobbin, quilting and piecing with no issues. I've only started getting concerned with thread in the last 5 years or so, mostly because I was using a friend's long arm to quilt down.

About a year ago I was given a modern machine and my friend warned me it was a little fussy but that it liked Aurifil -- which it does and I do too. I'm currently trying a thin-trilobal thread for my bobbin and am liking it. Back when I started quilting the quilt police said no no no never use poly thread, dual duty is bad... But now we have poly threads developed for quilting.

To see if your thread is too old to use, just try a breaking/stress test. If you can break the thread by hand by tugging on it, it is a no go for quilting (and I would think most things...). I have some vintage spools that are still quite usable, I have others that aren't.

I can say one thing, thread costs a lot nowadays!
Old 11-03-2019, 07:19 AM

I use Metler. This is what my LQS carries.
Old 11-03-2019, 08:30 AM

I have a roughly 15 yr old Husquvarna Viking machine. Neither me nor it are particular about thread. Some of the thread I use for piecing is probably as old as what you have. Your new machine will tell you if it's picky about thread; needles; etc.
Old 11-03-2019, 11:12 AM

that might depend more on the machine you buy as some are finicky. My Elna takes whatever I throw at it, including MonoPoly (invisible) with minor tension adjustments. I mostly use C & C's as fairly fine and non-linty. Sometimes Mettler or Gutterman as both easily available at local quilt shop (LQS) and will finish off cones from the long arm machine on the domestic (mostly SoFine, BottomLine, Permacore)
Old 11-03-2019, 12:26 PM

Brain fog. I totally forgot I have Aurifil chocolate brown 50 w cotton bought 2 years ago online sale Fat Quarter Shop.
The 2 old threads are from many years before DD was born in 1999. Maybe 33 yrs ago the color has faded also.
I totally depend on online shopping as I am homebound due to illnesses. I only get out for medical appointments.
Old 11-04-2019, 05:48 AM

My machines don't seem to be fussy, so I usually use Connecting Threads Essentials thread, it's a little linty, but you can't beat the price and the selection of colors. My concern would be getting a new Singer, because the new ones don't even compare slightly to the old Singers. If you don't have a lot of money to spend or you don't want to spend a lot, I would check out the Brother or Janome brand, they have a fairly decent reputation, even in the low end price.
Old 11-04-2019, 05:56 AM
Power Poster

None of my machines are fussy so I use any thread that appeals to me. Superior threads website has a lot of good information on matching the thread to the needle which seems important to me. I recently bought a spool if their Monopoly and they recommended a needle size and tension which I used and had no issues. I didn’t use it in the bobbin. I think I used Wonderfil cotton in the bobbin.