Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machines >

Sewing machines

Sewing machines

Old 10-01-2016, 08:12 AM

Default Sewing machines

I have a Viking 960Q with lots of feet and additional stuff. I'm thinking of selling it and buying a Baby Loc Crescendo.(Guess that's how you spell it) Then again I think about keeping the Viking. What would you recommend? I've never had a Baby Loc so don't know how it sews.
Old 10-01-2016, 08:42 AM

If the Viking is the only machine you have I would keep it. It's good to have one spare, usable machine when your other one is in the shop. If you have other machines that you like better than the Viking then I would sell it.
Old 10-01-2016, 08:58 AM
Power Poster

I agree with osewme, you really don't want to be without a spare. When one is in the repair shop, that's when the urge is strongest to sew something by machine. I have 2 and am thinking about getting another but lighter weight. DH will just have to change his shorts!
Old 10-01-2016, 10:26 AM
Power Poster

I love my Viking! I have picked up a couple other machines but will always keep my Viking. If you are considering changing to a different machine ( baby lock) I would visit a dealer, try one out, see if you like it. If you decide it is the machine for you - you could discuss a possible trade in deal for your Viking.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:29 AM

I have the Crescendo and love it. Can't compare to what you have, but heartily recommend the Babylock.
Old 10-01-2016, 04:46 PM

I would keep your viking, the stitch quality on it is superb. I do love my dreamweaver( brother version of the babylock unity) and it has the features of the crescendo and I adore everything about my machine lots of wonderful quilting featuresbut your machine has the hover feature and some usally miss it. The crescendo does have a pivot feature which raises the foot but there is a presserfoot lever and a knee lift but it is still different than the saphire. I would at least keep it for a while until you get familiar with the crescendo because they are very different but the crescendo does have more features and the dual feed alone makes the machine worth the cost
Old 10-01-2016, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by osewme View Post
If the Viking is the only machine you have I would keep it. It's good to have one spare, usable machine when your other one is in the shop. If you have other machines that you like better than the Viking then I would sell it.
I agree with osewme
Old 10-03-2016, 02:45 AM

Sharon, I share your dilemma. I was on the fence about selling my new Janome 8900 to switch to another brand however, I do have a 6600 for my main machine...so I finally bit the bullet and put it on Craig's list.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:45 AM

I would keep my Viking, spares are nice to have. I have 3 spares. I sold my diamond when I bought the epic. Love the epic, but loved the diamond. Now I wish I still had it. I guess I could use one of the spares while the epic is embroidering!
Old 10-03-2016, 04:36 AM

I find it intresting that you want to sell your janome 8900 and keep the 6600.I traded my 6600 for a 8900 and sometimes wish I had not. The 8900 is a diva, does not like this some threads, I never know which needle it likes, so I am switching often, never had those issues with the 6600. But there are other things I like on the 8900 , especially the wide throat space and the free motion quilt foot.