Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Machines >

Sewing Machines

Sewing Machines

Old 02-01-2011, 12:38 PM

My daughter is in the market for a new sewing machine and was wondering what you all think of the Viking Saphire 835 vs. the 855. Do any of you have one? We'd like to know your pros and cons.
Thanks for any feedback.
Alice
Old 02-01-2011, 01:18 PM

I have the Viking Sapphire 830 (previous model - only slightly different). I have had it for 1-1/2 years and LOVE it! The 855 will have more stitches and maybe the thread cutter, but not positive about that. Hopefully someone else can confirm.

Having the extra space is great for larger quilts. I wasn't having much luck with the "R" foot for FMQ, and took it in for a lesson. The store owner gave me a spring foot that works much better for me.

It's different in that the settings are automatic based on the stitches you choose - including presser foot pressure. You can alter them, just wanted to mention it. There are actually 3-4 needle positions and if you don't have it all the way up, you can't move the top thread. There is no lever to raise the foot. It raises with the needle down when you stop.

I have been very happy with it and would certainly buy it again if the need arose.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:37 PM

You are correct...the diff between both are more stitches and thread cutter on the 855. I've done my research recently thinking abt buying one...Also the 835 is now on sale for 999 versus 1200+ for the 855. It's a wonderful machine and I'd recommend all Vikings..I have the Husqvarna SE and would never buy anyother brand...They are the only manufacturer with Sensor foot that lifts automatically when you take your foot off pedal and makes it so easy to pivot without having to lift the foot manually. Go for it you won't regret it. That sensor foot is great for doing machine applique and just turning your quilt in general
Old 02-01-2011, 02:58 PM

Hi Alice.

Here is a link to the Viking site. The link is to the Sapphire machines. The second is a brochure for the 835 with a chart on the last page comparing the 835, 855 and 875. There are individual brochures for the other two machines. Just select on-line brochures on the left side of the window.

http://www.husqvarnaviking.com/us/17049.htm
http://www.husqvarnaviking.com/us/me...ochure_ENG.pdf

I was in the North Attleboro Joann's on Sunday. There's a sewing dealer in the store, carrying mostly Vikings. They were marking down machines including the Sapphires. I don't remember the amounts though but they might quote over the phone.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:46 PM

Thank you all for the feedback, It was so helpful.
Alice
Old 02-02-2011, 09:02 PM

ohhh, do i love my viking sapphire 835! it does everything i ndeed it to do and , and this is very important, it has a 10 inch throat!
Old 02-03-2011, 03:09 PM

Hi all,
My daughter called me today to tell me she bought the 835. Tomorrow she goes for the class and then On Monday night she's bringing it here so we can both play. We sew together every Monday night. I'm so excited for her. She hasn't bought anything for herself in a long time. She is an English teacher at Brockton High, MA and is always buying books at yard sales etc. and supplies for her students.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:10 PM

Good for her! She'll love it I'm sure. You can fit alot of quilt in that throat. And smaller quilts are a breeze!

Are you snowed in? I don't miss the snow...used to live in Norton, Easton, Taunton...early years in Attleboro.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:39 AM

No, the roads have all been bare since the snow fell. They are much better about plowing and sanding than they were a few years ago. Actuall it is a beautiful day today. This is my kind of weather anyway. I dread the summer. I just can't take the heat and humidity. My arthritis is 10 times worse in the summer too.
Alice