Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Sheets for Backings $12 90x102 @Target!

Blog Entries
    Just got back from Target and bought 3 of the Queen flat sheets for $12 each. Perfect for quilt backings! 250-thread 100% cotton.

I realized that I did a great job creating a huge stash of 2 yd or less fabrics but had no good backing options.

I've been to Walmart and other places and this was the best deal hands down. Plus, the fabric is a good quality for the back of my quilts.

Just wanted to let you all know while they're still in stock. Red, Brown, Tan, White, Black colors.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that likes sheets for the backing...and that's a really good deal. Beckie

i often use sheets for backing. I buy new and sometimes I find them at the thrift stores. My last quilt is backed with a sheet that was in pristine condition that I paid 1.00 for.

Blog Entries
    great tip, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by heyjami
    Just got back from Target and bought 3 of the Queen flat sheets for $12 each. Perfect for quilt backings! 250-thread 100% cotton.

I realized that I did a great job creating a huge stash of 2 yd or less fabrics but had no good backing options.

I've been to Walmart and other places and this was the best deal hands down. Plus, the fabric is a good quality for the back of my quilts.

Just wanted to let you all know while they're still in stock. Red, Brown, Tan, White, Black colors.

Blog Entries
    Nice steal! $1 is amazing.

Well, I haven't done it yet, but I got the idea here. :-)
    Then I went on the hunt and found the right quality for the right price. The colors are perfect for the fronts I have waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by ontheriver
    i often use sheets for backing. I buy new and sometimes I find them at the thrift stores. My last quilt is backed with a sheet that was in pristine condition that I paid 1.00 for.

yeahhhhh Target is finally in Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by heyjami

I realizedhat I did a great job creating a huge stash of 2 yd or less fabrics but had no good backing options.

Blog Entries
    I found new in package a flannel sheet for $1. Made a warm snuggly quilt-I tell my grands "my Bink"!

Blog Entries
    I haven't used sheets as a backing before, but I'm definitely going to check these sheets out at Target. How can you go wrong? Thank you very much for sharing. :thumbup:

I too will be checking!! Thank you.

Blog Entries
    Thank you for tip. I could use the black as I'm making a Sudoku for my DS, and was in a quandrey about the backing.

Blog Entries
    Huh. All the time i spent working at Target & we never had single sheets then. Now that I'm not there anymore, they go & start carrying them. I was just there today & never thought of checking but, I'll go back there soon & check.
    Thanks for letting us know.

wow, just spent $38 for 108" wide cotton at my LQS! Looks like I need to make a trip to Target! Do they come in colors?

Just a heads up - I've heard some LAQ's don't like using sheets and some won't quilt them. Apparently they are too tightly woven and it makes it very difficult to quilt. I've never used one, but considered it. If you're going to send it to a LAQ I just suggest letting them know you want to use a sheet as a backing up front. Would hate to have it sent back or have the backing changed because of it. I don't LAQ so I don't have first hand knowledge of what problems is caused - but I have read that some will not use them. Just a heads up to avoid possible problems when time to send out for quilting. (And of course, this may not even apply to all sheets...)
    Hugs,
    Gayle

Blog Entries
    Yes! Red, Brown, Black, Tan, White! Not online but in store I saw them all.

I know, I saw them at my LQS and was wavering both ways. I was even looking at buying regular fabric and piecing it. I hope this solves it for me. The color choices are limited, but they hit the major colors I need for now.

Quote Originally Posted by traumaRN
    wow, just spent $38 for 108" wide cotton at my LQS! Looks like I need to make a trip to Target! Do they come in colors?

Blog Entries
    Yes, true, I've heard that too.

I'm doing FMQ on my own machine.

I also was told to stick with the 250 thread count to avoid the tight weave.

The hand feel of these is very nice! Feel just like the $12/yd LQS fabric I have. The test will occur after washing. Will it hold color once the sizing is washed out? I am hopeful!

It's like a sateen muslin, not as heavy as kona. I should weigh it before cutting into it to compare it to some others I have.

Quote Originally Posted by M.I.Late
    Just a heads up - I've heard some LAQ's don't like using sheets and some won't quilt them. Apparently they are too tightly woven and it makes it very difficult to quilt. I've never used one, but considered it. If you're going to send it to a LAQ I just suggest letting them know you want to use a sheet as a backing up front. Would hate to have it sent back or have the backing changed because of it. I don't LAQ so I don't have first hand knowledge of what problems is caused - but I have read that some will not use them. Just a heads up to avoid possible problems when time to send out for quilting. (And of course, this may not even apply to all sheets...)
    Hugs,
    Gayle

I LOVE using sheets as backing. I have a bunch that I bought on sale and they have held up very well on all I've used them on. I quilt my own and haven't have any problem with getting them done at all. =)

I am a long arm quilter and I use sheets all the time. I use cotton, 200 or 250 count. I don't use a higher thread count as they do get pretty tightly woven.
    I love the feel of a sheet on the back of a quilt. So cool and smooth.

Walmart has single sheets too. Last time I bought one I saw teal, orange, green. Bright colors. I'm not sure if they were 100% cotton though. Price was about the same as Target's I think. Nice to know that Target has them too now!

It's true: Many of us LA quilters don't like using sheets.

The weave, even on the looser woven ones, don't 'heal' as well in the event we need to pull stitches. The needle break the threads in the weave instead of going between the threads. We're not perfect, and can't always hit the exact same holes. I've also found on sheets that I've purchased for my beds, that some of the less expensive sheets - those with the lower thread count - also pill after a few uses/washings. I'd hate to put that much time, money, and effort into a quilt to have the back pill or have thread breakage holes that don't heal.

I have a couple of customers that buy flannel sheets and those work great. If you watch the sales at some of the better stores, you can buy just the tops for a great price.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Shelley! Great tips!

I loooove your blog by the way - gorgeous work! When I grow up as a quilter can I be you? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Shelley
    It's true: Many of us LA quilters don't like using sheets.

The weave, even on the looser woven ones, don't 'heal' as well in the event we need to pull stitches. The needle break the threads in the weave instead of going between the threads. We're not perfect, and can't always hit the exact same holes. I've also found on sheets that I've purchased for my beds, that some of the less expensive sheets - those with the lower thread count - also pill after a few uses/washings. I'd hate to put that much time, money, and effort into a quilt to have the back pill or have thread breakage holes that don't heal.

I have a couple of customers that buy flannel sheets and those work great. If you watch the sales at some of the better stores, you can buy just the tops for a great price.

I wait until the end of winter and buy up regular blankets on clearance. You can get king sized blankets for about $10. I just quilted up something with a micro plush blanket/ backing on my 6600. Came out great.

Blog Entries
    My MIL & SIL have a long arm and quilt with sheets alot. When they helped me quilt my first big quilt I used a sheet and they just told me I had to wash it first before we quilted it. It was easy to quilt and looked great.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oksewglad
    I found new in package a flannel sheet for $1. Made a warm snuggly quilt-I tell my grands "my Bink"!
    i used a flannel sheet with snowmen on it for the back of one of my quilts..the front was cotton, so i washed the flannel first. it turned out beautiful!

How much for a King Size? I need a sheet to catch the overspray when I am spray basting. I'm going to check this out today. Thanks for the tip!

I am a LAQ and I will use a sheet with a low thread count. The high thread count is not good for a quilt back. You can also look for sheets that are muslin. They are out there. I recently got some lightly used sheets from a friend and they are muslin. Also remember to not cut the edges off, pull the stitches. Wash and press the seams flat. Your LAQ will appreciate it. Happy quilting

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast