Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Shop hops...input please :) >

Shop hops...input please :)

Shop hops...input please :)

Old 04-14-2013, 06:20 PM

Default Shop hops...input please :)

What unique things have you seen or done on a shop hop? Anything you would like to see incorporated or not done?
I'd like to hear about what you like or don't like about shop hops you've been a part of.

Thanks!

Christine

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-15-2013 at 02:57 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:06 PM

The last shop hop I went on in this area was in 2007. Since then they haven't had a single fabric collection that I liked. I actually like the fabric collection and blocks they have this year so I'm going next weekend. You really have to have a fabric collection that attracts the majority of your customers. Great prizes also will entice people to make it to all of the shops.

One of the things that we really liked is the shops having refreshments. Our drive is a little over 450 miles in one day and having some kind of small snack and something to drink at stops was really welcomed. We have to make it to two of the shops on Friday and then we'll do the round trip on Saturday.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:31 AM

I haven't done these but here are a couple really cute ideas. In IN this summer they are having a One Stop Shop Hop. 29 stores in one location. Sounds like it is a community center or gym. Mini-quilting expo. I may try to make that.

Second, in WI they are doing a bus tour shop hop. One fee includes bus, lodging and food. Not exactly clear on how it works but it goes over two days and each shop is responsible for providing one meal. The shop in Monticello told me about it so you can ask her if you are interested.

Things I like are discounts, prizes and a fun theme. I am expending money to drive from shop to shop so the discounts have to at least cover the gas money. 20-25%.

Finally decent hours. They had one here and one of the shops was only open 10-2 on Saturday and another was open 9-3.....really???? But you had to get to all the shops to qualify for the prize. With drive time, it was nearly impossible. I made sure I explained to two of the shops that I had exactly 12 minutes each to spend in their shops or I could not physically make all the stores. One shop was not in the next time and the other was open 9-5.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:04 PM

Did the Southwestern Pa hop last year. Some of the shops were. too crowded to enjoy because they were actually houses converted to businesses.Took 3 days to complete the whole tour and spent a small ton on fabrics etc. Would not do whole hop again but enjoyed a few of the
shops that I continue. Tovisit when its not sooooooo crazy
Old 04-16-2013, 03:42 PM

Did my first shop hop - It included 12 shops, 6 in other towns (150 mile round trip each weekend) and 6 local. We signed up for door prizes at each shop. The grand prize is $600 worth of gift certificates. One shop gave out packets of hand sewing needles, one gave a set of 2 1/2" fabric squares, some had cookies set out. Each shop had one block of a quilt pattern and instructions to give out. A friend and I went to 3 shops on a Friday, and planned a lunch out at a favorite restaurant. The next day we did all the local shops. Last Friday we went to the last 3 shops and had lunch at a new restaurant. Bought fabric in most all the shops. We had a lot of fun.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:48 PM

How do you find out about shop hops? I don't know if they do those in my area at all and I'm not in a guild so I don't know who I would ask! Maybe they don't do those out here on the west coast?

I feel like maybe there aren't enough LQSs around here to make this happen, but maybe I'm just not thinking in a wide enough radius!
Old 04-16-2013, 04:18 PM

We just did one in southern IN and KY. Instead of a kit at each, we got a charm. They were so much fun. There were charm holders too and I got a sewing machine holder. They handed out free patterns for a block at each shop. What we learned is that we are not doing it again.
1. First shop was so small and so full that it was dangerous. They had good fabric but you could not get it out to look at it and the light was not good in the cabin they were using for a store.
2. Second one was terrific except for the half mile gravel driveway that was 1.5 cars wide. We prayed that a car would not come the other way. Their light was great and terrific fabric. Even a place for a picnic.
3. The two stores next were pretty small although the town was nice and historic.
4. The next one had old fabric and was more a machine store but they had a spool holder I needed.
5. The last one we made at a few minutes after its 5pm closing but she stayed open until everyone was served. Good customer service.

300 miles and I might have spent $30. Good learning experience. I now like my own stores here in town even better.

Things that worked: Candy or cookies at each store, charms instead of patterns for more UFOs, staying open,good map with the circular route marked out for us.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:06 PM

I haven't done one in a few years (gas is too expensive and my stash is too big). We hit 50 stores in 3 days and had a blast. We promised ourselves that we would buy at least a fat quarter at each store -- one store smelled so bad (cat urine and cigarette smoke) so we got our stamp and block and left (threw out the blocks because the smells had infused the fabric). There was also a store that only had reproductions (but no Aunt Grace) and we couldn't find anything we wanted.

I agree -- the fabrics that will be the focus of the shop hop need to be something that grabs me -- recently I have only liked one or two. I get annoyed when all of the fabrics have been presold -- very frustrating. We appreciated stores that had snacks -- we stayed there longer and bought more. We barely got to the last store (it was pretty isolated and hard to find), but we called the shop and the owner stayed open and we rewarded her by buying lots of fabric there (she had wonderful fabrics).

Some other ideas. It was real helpful when the stores had directions to stores around them. Have folks only cutting -- and someone else to ring up purchases. If you are stamping passports or have drawings to sign up for -- provide a place away from the cutting table to take care of that. Set up something fun to do (one year I helped with a demo to make the bias fringe strips -- the owner sold a bunch of brushes, etc). Have a new, eye catching fabric line (boy did I get in trouble when the store had a marvelous fabric line and other shops only had one or two of the fabrics in the line).
Old 04-16-2013, 06:14 PM
Power Poster

Last summer on our shop hop each store had a demo on a different rulers and ideas on how to use them. It was fun. Being warm weather the shops had bottled water set out for us.
each shop also had a drawing for special prizes. Our group of 12 won six prizes so it was nice. The only downside was to many shops to visit in a certain time frame. Some times I felt like I missed things because of the time.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:21 PM

It is getting to that time of the year, how do you find out about them? And would you do it again. Time spent away is a good thing with another quilting friend!