SID

Old 08-23-2011, 05:17 AM

I find that I am using this more often than I would like... my issue is that I have trouble keeping it in the ditch... I use colored thread .. do not like using the clear one as these are quilts for babies and comfort... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... :oops: :cry:
Old 08-23-2011, 05:21 AM

I have quilted wavy lines over the seams instead of staight sid. I have done that on several small quilts and also on my raggy quilts for the X. May not be suitable for you tho.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:23 AM

I have used a decorative stitch -usually the one that looks like open leaves, or the feathers of the end of an arrow. I am fortunate to have a regular SID attachment - which has a longer guide that runs right in the ditch.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:24 AM

Lately I have been doing alot of a serpentine stitch on simple quilts, rather than SID. I use a varigated thread. It goes much faster and is far more forgiving . Look at your decorative stitches you may find a great alternative.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:24 AM

I know that there is one side of the ditch that is easier to stitch than the other; I can't remember which one, you can test it. I know that some people use a very small zig zag stitch so they say it doesn't show as badly if it's crooked or you can chose a stitch w/a wavy line to make it less noticable. Hope this helps

there is also a SID foot that has a blade down the middle to help you stay in the ditch; it spreads the seam open enough to allow it to work better. Have you tried pressing the seams really good first to make sure they are laying flat.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:00 AM

Get a SID foot for your machine! I purchased one a couple of months ago and I use it to attach the back of my bindings because I can't hand sew them. I will never do SID again without it! The stitching falls exactly where it should and looks wonderful! Here is a link for a Janome SID foot just because it is the machine I have. You can find all kinds of videos for the SID and other feet on youtube.com

http://www.janomespecials.com/mc11ks...ing-ditch.html
Old 08-23-2011, 06:02 AM

I don't have the ability to change feet with my walking foot - which is most important ... walking or decorative?
Old 08-23-2011, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
I don't have the ability to change feet with my walking foot - which is most important ... walking or decorative?
If you have a Bernina, I just saw a video for a SID attachment for your walking foot. . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2AK2lBY1aY

I use a walking foot when I am piecing my quilt tops (won't piece without it ever again!!!) but I change it out to the SID when doing my binding.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
If you have a Bernina, I just saw a video for a SID attachment for your walking foot. . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2AK2lBY1aY

I use a walking foot when I am piecing my quilt tops (won't piece without it ever again!!!) but I change it out to the SID when doing my binding.
That is going on the top of my Christmas wish list!:)
Old 08-23-2011, 07:34 AM

Viking has a walking SID foot . Not sure which machine you have , but many companies have this foot. There may be a generic that can work.