Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Silk pins

Silk pins

Hi, just wondering what the difference is between silk pins and others. I would like pins that glide through the fabric effortlessly. Aren't they all made of the same metal, steel? Thanks so much!

Silk Pins

They are usually used for dressmaking, thinner and sharper. I use them to hold things together when
    sewing.

I don't know if the metal is the same as other pins, but silk pins are the best! They slide in beautifully through several thicknesses or just two layers. Do give them a try.
    Betsy in MA

Blog Entries
    I use them almost exclusively. They are shorter, though, so sometimes I use a different, longer pin.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    I use them when I want to be able to sew over pins. They so thin that the needle just glides over them.

The silk pins never snag on your fabric...they seem to have a sharper point...I prefer these over many others.
    The only complaint I might have would be that they seem to bend a bit easier.
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

Thank you for asking this question. Sounds like I need to buy some silk pin.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

i like to use the long pins with the colored flower or butterfly on the end. I find they glide through the fabric easier but of course if hit by the needle bend easier.

Originally silk pins were made so as not to damage the fine silk fabric when sewing. But I, too, use them for all my sewing, whenever possible, because they go through the fabric like a knife through butter.

Blog Entries
    silk pins are tiny- thin- and sharp
    pins come in a vast assortment- from 3/4" long on up to 2 1/2+"
    they can be very fine/thin or quite thick-heavy
    silk pins are used often in hand applique-they are very small-
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Thumbs up for silk pins..
    Mary

Power Poster
    The negative to silk pins - if one drops them, they are harder to locate and pick up.

I like the fineness of them - I do think they slide through the fabric better.

Do any of them come with plastic heads?

There are differences in straight pins in length, fineness (diameter), and in the point (ball-point or regular)

Blog Entries
    I love using silk pins. They just glide into the fabric without distorting and with very little effort. They also don't leave noticable holes in your fabric. They cost more, but they're worth it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    The negative to silk pins - if one drops them, they are harder to locate and pick up.

I like the fineness of them - I do think they slide through the fabric better.

Do any of them come with plastic heads?

There are differences in straight pins in length, fineness (diameter), and in the point (ball-point or regular)
    These are my favorite pins. I think they are the finest pins I could find that has glass heads.
    Make sure it's Clover. I bought another brand that looks just like this and didn't like it.
    The only downside to those pins is that they bend easily...or maybe I'm just prone to
    bending pins. LOL
    http://www.clover-usa.com/dimg/5ea61...e0a7a2cd62.jpg

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by EasyPeezy View Post
    These are my favorite pins. I think they are the finest pins I could find that has glass heads.
    Make sure it's Clover. I bought another brand that looks just like this and didn't like it.
    The only downside to those pins is that they bend easily...or maybe I'm just prone to
    bending pins. LOL
    http://www.clover-usa.com/dimg/5ea61...e0a7a2cd62.jpg
    Thank you - I have been staying out of the stores and catalogs lately - - - -