Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: small scraps

in the land of fruits, nuts, flakes & quakes!
    Quote Originally Posted by oksewglad
    Here's my little mug rug
    How adorable! And useful, too!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Melrose V
    Here's my little mug rug
    Thanks Melrose V. It measures about 4 inches square. Hey and welcome to the board from an Iowa girl.

in the land of fruits, nuts, flakes & quakes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Melrose V
    Here's my little mug rug
    Thanks Melrose V. It measures about 4 inches square. Hey and welcome to the board from an Iowa girl.
    :thumbup:

I keep really small crumbs because I am trying to make blended collages similar to Susan Carlson - hope I can get to be half as goods as she.

Blog Entries
    I donate my scraps to the local quilt group that does quilts for the county abused women's center, since they often arrive with nothing. They would be glad to have fabric from anyone. There is one elderly lady that uses pieces everyone else won't mess with. I am sure there is a local group like that in your area.

Blog Entries
    I donate my scraps to the local quilt group that does quilts for the county abused women's center, since they often arrive with nothing. They would be glad to have fabric from anyone. There is one elderly lady that uses pieces everyone else won't mess with. I am sure there is a local group like that in your area.

I keep one drawer for PPing scraps and another for snippets and landscape art.

Alot of paper piecing you need very small pieces. Also some times you can create your own fabric from them. Just take a piece of muslin and sew the little piece on to it as if you are paper piecing. Then you can cut your shapes from it. Works great
    Have a Blessed day
    Ellen

Blog Entries
    I'll go as small as 3/4".

I do minis, crumbs, and an Omigosh quilt. Uses lots of tiny pieces.
    Someone would be happy to take your smaller pieces if you don't want them. :)

I normally don't keep anything smaller than 2-1/2". I do a lot of applique, but I rarely need anything smaller than that. All of the rest (including trim off pieces), goes in a bag too be given to a woman who uses it for stuffing for dog beds at the local shelter

I keep everything. The scraps that are too small to sew I put into pet beds. I even save the threads that I've cut off to make thread bowls.

I just use the small scraps for stuffing pillows and mix it with scrap batting and cut up foam. The smallest scrap I sew with is 2 inches.

community benefactor stitchofclass2's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I just started throwing ALL my scraps in a box under my cutting table. I just saw a really cute pillow made with left over selvages. I don't know when or if I will use them but I started saving them. In WI my LQS charges 10.95 for batiks. They have rows and rows of gorgeous batiks that I love. At that price nothing is a "scrap" anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by mouseface
    i do mimitures so a cut scraps down to a inch and a half either a strip or a square and keep them in a shoe box for small projects
    that is a good idea. I have wondered how to store small scraps if I decided to save them.

Blog Entries
    I usually cut scraps into 1 1/2 inch strips and save them for scrappy log cabins.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stitchofclass2
    I just started throwing ALL my scraps in a box under my cutting table. I just saw a really cute pillow made with left over selvages. I don't know when or if I will use them but I started saving them. In WI my LQS charges 10.95 for batiks. They have rows and rows of gorgeous batiks that I love. At that price nothing is a "scrap" anymore.
    I quilted a wall hanging for a customer last year made from all salvages. It was really unique.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    i save everything except the slivers...i donate to the scouts, 4-H, the senior center, the preschool, the public school art department and give them to anyone needing scraps when i am accumalating lots of them with no desire to do something with them . i am an appliquer so i always have a box of scraps to go through for appliques and i keep 3 stacking drawers of scraps for my granddaughters to play in when they are here. if it is 1/2" wide or wider it's usable in my world...1/2" strips are used to hook rugs or wrap clothesline for those projects.
    I never thought about donating these to a school art department. HA! Great idea.

Sandra, I make quilts for babies to teens who are in hospitals, in family crisis and CPS emergencies. I use as small as 1x1 sqs. if I have enough to work into scrappy quilts. When someone has lost everything the cherish the gifts of strangers. I even use old flannel sheets and blankets for backing and it works fine. One person's trash is another man's treasure.

Blog Entries
    scraphappy, desertrose, and I think along the same lines! The center of this quilt I just posted used 1" strips.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-110446-1.htm

It is one of just many I have made from leftover narrow strips.

I throw the shards into a clean wastebasket and use them to stuff new dog beds. If they are at least two inches wide and several inches long, I save them for strip quilts. froggyintexas

The smallest I save is "EVERYTHING". I have a nice container next to the machine that collects all odd shapes for paper piecing Pineapple blocks. These blocks are 5" and have 45 pieces in each block.

I also double sew all corner triangles, so there is a small basket catching these HST. They finish at 1 1/2".

I am a hostess on Yahoo for "Postage Stamp Quilts". We exchange 1 1/2" squares 4 times a year. This is my FAVORITE size.
    With each swap I get 1,250 more squares. I am working on an Irish Chain with these. I am using Kona-Snow as the constant background.

Anymore 2 1/2" squares look huge to me! I still have containers full of these strips. I have them sorted by color. And a large tote with all the neutrals. They can get cut down of course.

Like I said...I save everything. The selveges are used to make rugs and to tie up garden plants.
    XOXOO Subee

Quote Originally Posted by MissSandra
    I am cruious to what is the smallest size scraps you collect? all of my fabric is LQS quality, I won't use them, is it worth collecting and giving to someone or is it just a waste? I'm going to keep all this info in my mind.
    I would hate to send someone a box of scraps and then have them think oh my gawd, I paid postage on that!!
    Thank you
    Sandra

Blog Entries
    I use anything down to 3/4" Please don't throw them away. There are lots of people who would love to have them.

I just received an email from my BFF in CA and she sent me pics of her scappy quilt. She found a wonderful older lady (82) in Loomis CA who was advertising that she would cut your scraps into any size blocks for a small amount of $. Well, she did my BFF! My BFF had her cut the scraps into 4 different sizes ranging from 6 inches down to 1 1/2 inch blocks. At first I thought 1 1/2 blocks?! OMG! But looks at the results I received today. I need to find a person like that in Nevada! I have a very large garbage bag of scraps that I think are worth keeping. But then I think all my scraps are worth keeping!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I use Bonnie Hunter's scrap saver system and the smallest I save is a "string". no narrower than 3/4 inch but must be 11 inches long. I do no save crumbs, I know she does. And I save left over HSTS from other projects.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast