Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
So glad I prewashed - found an incurable (so far) bleeder >

So glad I prewashed - found an incurable (so far) bleeder

So glad I prewashed - found an incurable (so far) bleeder

Old 01-04-2015, 09:47 AM
Power Poster

Just saw where it's suppose to be sold at Walmart. Will have to check.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:49 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
I have found that soaking the fabric in a water/vinegar/salt mixture also works. But definitely try the Retayne. It should solve your problems.
Do you have the formula? I usually wash all my bedding covers in cold water. But would still like the formula. Thanks!
Old 01-04-2015, 10:09 AM

The LQS where I purchased this fabric is also suggesting Retayne, and has some in stock. Have to pop there to pick some up tomorrow!
Old 01-04-2015, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
This is the perfect candidate for Retayne. Follow the directions carefully and then use cold water to wash any finished project as using hot water on fabric treated with Retayne only removes it ( the Retayne) and bleeding will most likely start again.
So, actually, there is no permanent fix for bleeders.....that's a dirty shame....the cost of these fabrics......and some are not practical for use...something very wrong with that picture.....
Old 01-04-2015, 10:56 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by LindaM View Post
The LQS where I purchased this fabric is also suggesting Retayne, and has some in stock. Have to pop there to pick some up tomorrow!
I've used it a lot on bleeders ... and have been quite happy!
As a confidence booster, I do include a Dr. Beckmann's Colour Catcher ... and they always come out snow white!
Old 01-04-2015, 11:03 AM

What was the brand of the Batik?
Old 01-04-2015, 11:11 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
So, actually, there is no permanent fix for bleeders.....that's a dirty shame....the cost of these fabrics......and some are not practical for use...something very wrong with that picture.....
There are two types of bleeders. The one in the original post sounds like the type in which the dye was not permanently set by the manufacturer. That is the kind that will bleed forever. Retayne will set the dye, but only as long as the fabric is not washed in hot water.

The other type of bleeder is one in which the manufacturer has not adequately rinsed out excess dye. Fibers can absorb only so much dye. Typically fabric is dyed with much more dye than the fabric can aborb; rinsing removes the excess dye particles. When the manufacturer doesn't do this adequately, a lot of loose dye comes out in the first wash. This is the type that sheds less and less dye with each washing.

It's good to remember also that not all fabrics *pick up* loose dye particles easily. It's possible to have a bleeder fabric in a quilt and still not get dye stains in the other fabrics.

Vinegar and salt work to set many types of organic dye, but generally have no effect on the newer chemical dyes used by modern manufacturers. They don't do any harm, but they don't necessarily do any good. If I were more of a scientist, I would probably take samples from all my stash fabrics and wash one set with vinegar/salt and the other with regular detergent to prove this.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:05 PM

I use Retayne quilt a bit. What bothers me most is when a fabric store states that their fabrics come from quality manufacturers and don't bleed. Maybe bleeding is less common in LQS fabrics, but it certainly exists. I think that is why it is important to bring a bleeder back to the LQS. Then they can contact the manufacturer if they choose and pull that bolt off the shelf.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:53 PM

This is one of the reasons to prewash. Better to loose the cost of one fabric versus the ruin of a whole project.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:00 AM

That's why I prewash everything. As for that fabric, our guild was told by a very knowledgeable speaker to just get rid of it.