Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
So sad another quilt shop closed >

So sad another quilt shop closed

So sad another quilt shop closed

Old 10-31-2011, 06:31 AM

Support your local small businesses. They are having a really rough time. If things keep up the way they are, there will only be big business left.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:52 AM

So sorry to hear that. I try to support the three shops that are very close to my home, but I can only stash so much fabric and take only so many classes.
Sue
Old 10-31-2011, 06:58 AM

I'd give the owner a big hug, and tell her (or him) how sorry I am to see them close.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:09 AM

I saw a couple of my favorites close in the past few years: one in SF,where the landlord was going to raise the rent by an outrageous amount and the shop owner said her life ran in 12 year cycles, that she had been open 12 years, and now it was time to move on.

Another one was in Auburn, CA, and the owners wanted to retire. I don't think anyone came to buy it. It had been one of the shops in a Quilt Sampler Best Shops issue. Just checked and they are now an online only shop.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:18 AM

Sorry yours has closed, within the last few years three have opened within 20 miles of me. Some may think traveling 20 miles to find a LQS isn't to local but it is what it is here. With the economy being terrible, I hope they remain open since quilting is not a cheap hobby and those who are on fixed budgets (who isn't) have to manage fairly well.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:41 AM

I am sorry about the closing of your LQS, it is sad when they close their doors. Even when they go online only, there is a sense of loss when you no longer have a gathering place to share your passion for quilting.

I also try to support my local LQS (we have 3) and with the economy and my budget, I am not able to do much. You can bet your bippy that when I DO have a few extra $s to spend, I'm headed to a LQS. Even if it is only a little, every little bit spent locally helps!!
Old 10-31-2011, 08:09 AM
Power Poster

With the cost of everything in them, I'm surprised any of them are open. Just my thoughts on it.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:22 AM

The other day I told you about our shop thats closing after 40 years. It will be on-line only. Sat. I talked to the owner and she said once she gets settled, she plans on opening up the shop 3 or 4 times a year for her "touchy feely customers" That would be me.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:45 AM

As part owner in a small, only been open 4 years, quilt shop, you have no idea how this thread depresses me. It is a very bad time to own a small business. We opened a few months before the lint hit the fan. It is not easy to keep things going. Our saving grace is very low over head, no rent, just utilities and insurance and things of that nature. Needless to say we don't draw a salary either.If we were to depend on a profit to keep open, well, we would not be open. Even though times are tough we plow the profit back into the shop for new fabrics. With out new fabrics you can't hang on to your customers. We hope to weather through the storm and come out of it a little smarter and a little more solvent.

It was wonderful to hear how most of you favor your local quilt shops. Keep up the good work, we all depend on you. Our prices are going through the roof too. We can not afford to sell at the MSRP, we would never sell anything. It won't be long before most fabrics we be $6.00 per yard. And I mean our wholesale cost.

Well, I shall get off my soap box. Enjoy you quilting.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:20 AM

I will miss Always in Stitches also! It was a great shop!