Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Solid colors for CW fabric quilt? >

Solid colors for CW fabric quilt?

Solid colors for CW fabric quilt?

Old 10-05-2012, 02:44 PM

Question Solid colors for CW fabric quilt?

I'm attempting a very scrappy BOM all with CW repros and similarly colored small print fabrics. The pattern calls for a few yards of a solid fabric for background pieces and to tie the whole thing together. I really like cream and it's more of a darker valued quilt so I think cream would be a good match. Wouldn't you know it, but not a single quilt shop in town has a nice Kona cream. All white or like a weird yellowy cream that looks more yellow than beige.

I found some darkish muslin at a good price, kinda of tea stained looking. Do you think that would be ok? I really don't want to go with a white because I think it's going to ruin the overall effect of the darker colors. The lights are all creamy with various colored small prints. Then the mediums are golds. The darks are blues and reds and greens. I think a cream would be perfect to tie them all together. What do you guys think?
Old 10-05-2012, 02:56 PM

I think the muslin sounds like it will tie it all together. I am thinking of something that is a toast shade. I know what you mean--some creams are really yellow, and don't fit at all. Maybe you can find a cream on cream that would do the job, too.
Sue
Old 10-05-2012, 03:15 PM

Hi Melissa. If the muslin is the same weight and hand as the rest of the repros, it'd probably be okay, but I think I'd go with Bella Natural or Kona Cream if at all possible if you want to stick with the cream color. Take a look at Marcus Brothers Centennial Solids for other color options for the CW period, too. They run about $7.00 per yard and are excellent quality.
http://www.marcusfabrics.com/cgi-bin...gi?Category=22
Old 10-05-2012, 03:38 PM

I didn't even think of the weight part. The scraps came from my group and I know those ladies all use LQF that's fairly pricey. I think I'm going to wait for Joanns to restock Kona. I really love Kona solids. I just haven't been able to find the cream. Thanks Ghostrider!
Old 10-05-2012, 04:03 PM

I did a Lori Smith quilt with all CW fabrics and they provided a tea dyed slightly mottled greyed rich tan color for the border and a lighter version for the sashing. It really needed a calming fabric for the eyes to rest on.

A pure muslin or white might be too stark but a tea dyed one that looks old may be really nice.