Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: some cotton picking saving ideas

often I will look through the bed linnen section of shopping stores and see what type of patterns and designs are available in sheets and quilt covers that are made of cotton, I have often found some great finds to use in my quilting projects especially when they are half price.

Blog Entries
    What a great idea.

thanks Nadine i liked the scriptures they were encouraging often when i am quilting and i take a short cut i stop and think God is watching do it again correctly.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cathy lopez
    thanks Nadine i liked the scriptures they were encouraging often when i am quilting and i take a short cut i stop and think God is watching do it again correctly.
    Me too. I know He's always with me.

Great idea!

fab idea, would make good backs for quilts too.

Blog Entries
    I found a 100% curtain panel at Walmart marked down to $2. It was perfect for a utility quilt backing. I bought one of each color. The fabric feels like fabric right off the bolt. Also the curtain panels are great for recovering ironing surfaces, making throw pillows, tote bags, dog beds, and so forth.

Blog Entries
    Taking notes, keep them coming. :thumbup:

A couple years back, I was at Walmart, and they had large table cloths marked down to $2 a piece. I bought all they had and made all the curtains for my living room (three windows) and a chair and footstool cover. They were made of a heavy cotton and are still holding up strong to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I found a 100% curtain panel at Walmart marked down to $2. It was perfect for a utility quilt backing. I bought one of each color. The fabric feels like fabric right off the bolt. Also the curtain panels are great for recovering ironing surfaces, making throw pillows, tote bags, dog beds, and so forth.
    Thanks for the great idea!

I have used sheets as backing and found them hard to quilt through (hand quilting). Should have washed them a few times first.

Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts
    I have used sheets as backing and found them hard to quilt through (hand quilting). Should have washed them a few times first.
    I have used walmart sheets as backing in several quilts. They are great,but I machine quilt

Blog Entries
    I've used sheets many times (hand quilting) and prefer them to expensive materials as I usually prefer solid colored backs for my quilts.

When I was newly married, I used to make inexpensive curtains out of sheets. One time, when they were on sale, I'm sure, I bought a comforter of a certain pattern, and then sheets enough for: sheets for the bed, sheets for curtains, and sheets along with a coordinating solid fabric for a lightweight quilt made of squares (I was still very new at quilting). It was nice to have them all matching for a change.

p.s. I also used a sheet for backing of my first quilt because it was wide enough to be one piece. I tied that one.