Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Some help if possible.

Blog Entries
    I, too, was frightened by the thought of printing on faric. I bought 2 sets of the fabric on paper & put it away.
    Then last week I needed a calligrapher to write on the almost beige that made up the sashing.
    Well, there wasn't a single one in the house/neighborhood/or town. So I found a font & typed up the captions & ran the program & viola! - I had labels. I had to iron wonder-under light to the back.
    A piece of cake!
    Enjoy!
    Debbie Stair

Quote Originally Posted by Little RoO
    Hi... I found this on You tube....it is for making quilt labels but I don't see why you couldn't use it for a photo....have no idea if it works or not....and you do have to be careful that the paper doesn't get stuck in the printer ....but maybe worth a go......Good luck with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mH2R2dVQxc

As for posts....I read lots and answer to quite a few but only if I can help...quite often I just don't know the answer ...but I know that people on the board will help whenever they can
    Thanks so much for this link! I just watched it for my mental FYI file!

A while back somebody on this board posted a link to the Victoria and Albert Museum. You upload your photo, answer a few simple questions and the program gives you a picture that is somewhat like cross stitch patterns but for quilts. A black and white photo would be especially good because it gets bogged down if there are to many colors.

Have you scanned anything before and had it come out? If you haven't scanned anything before, do you have the printer/scanner installed on the computer? If the software has been installed, I don't understand why it's not recognized. How about calling the place where you got the scanner and explain to them what's going on. Or, there may be a "help" line for your purchase. Hope you can get it straightened out.

So many interesting links and ideas! I can't wait to see what you come up with.
    :D

I sent you a PM.
    You may have to put your disk that came with your scanner back into your hard drive, and try running it again, then the computer may tell you that you already have a version of the scanner on your computer and then you would have to delete the old information for the scanner and the disk would then put that information back into its' place. Sometimes my computer does that, somehow it just doesn't recognize the program anymore.

That is how it works on my system, and hopefully this will help you.

Blog Entries
    Hiya cindy ,,,,,if u look at my avatar it is taken from a black and white pic of my son , it is done fusing small pieces of fabric onto a fusible grid ,,,,I wouldnt recomend the programme i bought because it can have gremlins , but I could give you the choice of either you scanning the pic and sending to me and ill sort a pattern out for you , and tell you how to do it (easy)or ill do one for you ,,,,,,,pic I mean :) I wouldnt wish anything for it ,Ill just send it to you if you like :)

Blog Entries
    sorry to post again ,,,,,,the pic on my avatar is made with 24 colours ,,with 8 of 3 values dark med light ,,,,,you need very little fabric and you even use small patterns and uglies lol the process is like the victoria and albert museum one , but more detailed

I'd love to know how you did that

Blog Entries
    I have never made that type of quilt, wish I could help you!!! :oops:

Blog Entries
    If you can acess sewing with nancy its shown on one of her programmes ,,,its called quilted mosaic ,, but I bought the programme and it had gremlins ,,,,,,its also on youtube to watch ,,you can download a demo of the mona lisa picture to see if you would like to do a pic of your own

Blog Entries
    its very much like a jigsaw with fabric , but u know where the bits go lol :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cindy4857
    Hi all, I have a black and white pic. of my grandson that I would like to duplicate it in fabric for a wall hanging. Only problem is I have no idea how to do it or where to start. I've been here on the board for hmmm bout a year now I guess. When I post pic's I don't usually get more than a few responses. I often wonder why because most post go on for pages and pages. But If anyone would be willing to help me figure out how to to this I would truly be greatful.

Cross fingers gonna try to post the pic. I can't figure out how to scan it and then get it here. I'm gonna work on it. The computer isn't reconizing my scanner. Any how If someone might want to take the task on helping me do fabric Art please please please let me know.
    Hi - I have done one wall hanging that was done from a picture postcard. I enlarged the picture on a copy machine to 8 1/2 x 11 and then copied it onto a transparency (a clear plastic sheet) From there I enlarged the pattern with a black sharpie pen onto a big piece of white butcher paper on an overhead projector. The pattern was easy to trace onto fabric. I used fusible webbing on the back of the fabric and cut and fit the fabric pieces together on a background like a puzzle. I'm sure there are easier techniques.
    If you want to see how awesome a picture quilt wall hanging can turn out - please look at "jupiter's" blog. She's a VERY talented QBer, and president of our quilt guild this year:
    http://marilynjsmith.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Does anyone know how these pictures are over a period of time? Do they start to fade when washed? I love the idea of the photo's.

I didn't read all of the posts, so plz forgive is someone else already gave this link:

http://www.vam.ac.uk/microsites/quilts/patchwork

You use a light fabric that's prepared for dyeing, which is soaking the fabric in Bubble Jet Set and let dry. Then you iron freezer paper to back of fabric (it's cut to the size of a regular copy paper). You feed the fabric thru your printer after you scan the picture. The picture will print onto the fabric. You cut off the excess material. Hope this helps.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mariebaker
    I didn't read all of the posts, so plz forgive is someone else already gave this link:

http://www.vam.ac.uk/microsites/quilts/patchwork
    WOW! I"m going to try this!!

Blog Entries
    You have to copy the picture on to fabric copy paper.
    You can get it at Joann's. When you buy the fabric paper
    it will tell you what to do.Very easy to work with.comes out great to. Good luck..

Sorry I think I miss understold >>> my face is red :oops:

Blog Entries
    Good luck. It looks like you have allot of help.

I want to learn this technique also.

Blog Entries
    Cindy the software that daisylil is referring to is called Quilted Photo by Tammie Brower. the website is
    www.quiltedphoto.com. You can also do a search on the board for photo quilts and check out the picture done by sewsilly on 09/06/2009 I started a picture several years ago and never finished it. You make me want to dig it out and try again.

Blog Entries
    hi! i was reading thru some of the posts and found someone had already given you the same advice i was going to. the reason i'm telling you this is because i normally read thru and if my advice has been given i move on and don't post anything. but i agree it is disappointing to see that 2,000 people looked at your thread and only 63 wrote a message. now you know why i wouldn't normally comment. have a great week end!

There is a website Soft Fabric Photos.
    They will do it for you if you send a photo or
    you can buy fabric sheets from them. They
    send photo back with your order. Also, you
    may check Quilt Store in your area to see if
    they have a printer to do it for you.

I would love to learn how to do the pic. I just got my puter running so now I can upload a pic of what i'm talking about. hang on and i'll try

it's a photo of a photo so it's course, my copie is much clearer and it's rotated but you can get an idea of what it is i'd like to do. I want to keep it in the black and white and todo it all in fabric.

Thanks all, I'm gonna be going back over the replies tomorrow and repling to every one. I thank you somuch all of you. I'm sure somewhere among all your suggestions is the help I needed and so much want :-)

again god bless and thanks all.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-94006-1.htm
    a photo traced onto plastic, enlarged and done as applique.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast