Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Special quilting thread for "lefties"? >

Special quilting thread for "lefties"?

Special quilting thread for "lefties"?

Old 05-06-2012, 09:11 PM

I have a left handed hair brush if she wants to buy it. It has a comb to match! LOLOL
Old 05-06-2012, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mom3 View Post
... What your sister's LQS said is, in my mind, equivalent to saying a lefty needs a left handed iron. Pooh! An iron is an iron. ...

LOL

Shari
Yes, but not too long ago there were irons that were designed so that you could make the cord go out either from the left or the right as needed. These days they've gotten more clever and have it exit center back, at least on the one I happen to have in view. Oddly, I have a hand mixer that has the cord come out on the left, which is not so handy for me. I solved the problem by threading it through the handle to the right, and I guess the same could be done with an iron, but I'm pretty sure that if my iron was like that it would bug me. The first few inches of the cord on the older irons were supported with a firm rubber tube to help prevent the cord from going under the iron.

The twist on the thread will alter the tendency of the thread to kink and knot while you're hand sewing, and intuitively I think I can see where the idea came from that a lefty would need a different twist, but it's surely bunk. If you consider that you can hand sew in either direction just by turning the fabric, there's no way the thread could be any different no matter who is propelling it.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:08 AM

I am left handed, and I have left-handed scissors. Left-handed thread? I think it's just a running joke between the two women who are left handed. If something doesn't come out quite right, they kid with each other it's because we
didn't use the left-handed thread. If something comes out good, we used the left-handed thread. Their mother doesn't realize it's just a joke between them and took them seriously. I am LOL with everyone else.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:58 AM

Anything to make a buck I guess.

Being a Lefty I don't buy into such "novelties". I live in a right handed world, I learned to adapt to it.

When I was in Kindergarten, my teacher didn't like the fact I was the only Lefty in her class. I guess she thought I was making her day go by slower or something....lol

Anyways, she tried forcing me into writing with my right hand. I couldn't so, I wrote everything backwards. Like this :

Ees enaJ nur. Ees enaJ hctac eht llab.

She called my parents in for a conference, big mistake........My Dad is left handed.
I was transferred into the other Kindergarten class the next day.

Last edited by Chasing Hawk; 05-07-2012 at 06:10 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:04 PM

This reminds me of the time in HomeEc class that we sent a new girl to the store to buy Tailor Tacks. It was not nice but we got a big laugh out of it. For those of you who don't sew garments - a tailor tack is a method of marking darts, etc. by using a needle & thread.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:15 PM
Power Poster

Thread for lefties-??! Snipe hunt anyone? I'd trade her my left-handed toothbrush for some of that thread!