Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Spiral-Eye Needle Problem >

Spiral-Eye Needle Problem

Spiral-Eye Needle Problem

Old 10-03-2017, 04:59 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
QuiltE- I don't know what you're referring to. I emailed her and will let you know.
It's not the end of the world- but I just thought it would be so easy not to have to worry about threading a needle the way I usually do.
What "straight sided" types do you mean?
hhmmmm ... sorry, but I am not quite sure about what they are called otherwise!!
Same idea as what you have, except the thread pops in from the top of the needle, rather than on the side as yours does. There is actually a regular hole below that one, that you could thread it in the normal way if you wanted.

I bought mine for burying threads, but have used them for regular hand stitch work.

Will be interested to see what response you get from your email query.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:08 AM

Those are called "self threading needles" - here's a link to some on Amazon; if you mouse over the photo you can get a (slightly blurry) close-up view of what the eyes look like. (No affiliation with this brand, never tried 'em, just picked them for the photo.) https://www.amazon.com/Self-Threadin...eading+needles

That style of needles are made by a lot of companies, including Singer, Dritz & Clover. Joann's carries them too.

I tried them for sewing hexies and didn't like them, personally. The thread popped out a little too often for me, so I went back to standard needles. They're great for burying quilting threads, though, and I didn't have any thread shredding problems.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:17 AM
Power Poster

Thanks Sewnoma ... yup, that would be them!
Old 10-03-2017, 05:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
Those are called "self threading needles" - here's a link to some on Amazon; if you mouse over the photo you can get a (slightly blurry) close-up view of what the eyes look like. (No affiliation with this brand, never tried 'em, just picked them for the photo.) https://www.amazon.com/Self-Threadin...eading+needles

That style of needles are made by a lot of companies, including Singer, Dritz & Clover. Joann's carries them too.

I tried them for sewing hexies and didn't like them, personally. The thread popped out a little too often for me, so I went back to standard needles. They're great for burying quilting threads, though, and I didn't have any thread shredding problems.
You can't beat 48 for 5.90- I just bought some. Thanks!
Old 10-03-2017, 08:37 AM

I love self-threading needles. I buy the Fons and Porter ones. The Spiral Eye and Sench needles say they are for mending, sewing buttons, and embroidery (http://www.spiraleyeneedles.com/).
Old 10-03-2017, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
Hi everyone, I just got one to try, a size 8. Looked perfect for my hand hexie work but having problems.
It won't stay threaded and it shreds the thread. I'm using a 50 wt cotton thread.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance

Susie
Here is a link: http://www.spiraleyeneedles.com/
Susie, glad you are trying them! When I first saw them they sounded useful for me, too, so I'll be watching this post!
Old 10-03-2017, 07:24 PM
Gay

Perhaps there's a tiny burr in the eye, have you tried a different needle?
I've had a pack of these for a few years, and understood they were created for people whose eyesight makes it difficult to thread a needle, but never heard of the 'spiral' term before.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:25 PM

Actually, GEMRM, the two (Sench and Spiraleye) are different. If you go to the web site: http://www.spiraleyeneedles.com/Needles.html
about mid-page down you will see an explanation of the difference. My understanding is that the self-threading needles are great for pulling down a loose thread, these others allow sewing along like a regular needle. I'm going to order some!
Old 10-03-2017, 08:10 PM
Power Poster

I got the following response:

Wow.

The design of the Spiral Eye is meant to lock the thread inside the eye as you stitch.... Let me ask some questions.

Are you left handed.? (Lefties seem to have more issues for some reason so I always ask that first)

When you stitch do you pull the thread horizontally or do you make a u shaped upward movement? That has been a reason for uthreading...must cause the thread to loosen at just tge right time when the needle is turned. Some people who do this movement find they need to hold the needle at the eye when they pull. That means their fingers kind of pinch over the eye when they pull.

Does it come unthreaded all the time or just at a specific point?

As to the sheding..that can be caused from that can be from a few reasons.

The first would be around the thread. Because the eye of my needle hast to be cut vs. Stamped it is possible the tumbling and recurring process did not knock off the edge good enough or it left a burr inside of the eye. Either way, you can try threading dental floss through the eye and sewing a few stitches to see if you can smooth it out. This is not a common problem but I have heard of it a few times.

Or it could be the thread. Are you using a silk thread or some other delicate thread? That combined with a burr would explain it.

Please let me know if my suggestions don't help.

Pam

My response:

I'm not left-handed. The thread comes out when I insert the needle in the fabric. I was using regular sewing thread. I use a running stitch.

Gay- I only bought one needle so I don't have another to compare it to.

I'm going to try her suggestions.

Last edited by SusieQOH; 10-03-2017 at 08:13 PM.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
Actually, GEMRM, the two (Sench and Spiraleye) are different. If you go to the web site: http://www.spiraleyeneedles.com/Needles.html
about mid-page down you will see an explanation of the difference. My understanding is that the self-threading needles are great for pulling down a loose thread, these others allow sewing along like a regular needle. I'm going to order some!
Kitsie- Which ones are you going to order? I'm confused by your post.