Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Spray, glue, pin, hand baste, or boards? Which one do you prefer? >

Spray, glue, pin, hand baste, or boards? Which one do you prefer?

Spray, glue, pin, hand baste, or boards? Which one do you prefer?

Old 10-26-2016, 03:10 PM

I safety-pinned my first quilt and I thought, "There has GOT to be a better way." Then I read about washable school glue and like many people on this board, I was hooked. Now I will admit that most of the quilts I make these days are baby quilts, although the last one I made was a queen-sized. Still, it's cheap, easy, and doesn't hurt your fingers.

Here are my answers to the most common objections. "Will it gum up my machine?" No, just look at all the comments on this board. "It takes so long to dry." I let my quilts dry overnight and they're fine. "I would never use glue on my quilts." Well, fine, but again, read all the positive comments on this board. The only reason I would not use washable glue is if I were going to hand quilt or if it is for a wall hanging that would not be washed.

And, to answer a previous question, any brand of WASHABLE school glue should be fine. I used to use the two-for-a-dollar glue at the Dollar Tree, but lately it seems to be even thinner than it was before. I bought a bunch of Staples brand washable school glue back during the back-to-school sales.

Tate
Old 10-26-2016, 03:44 PM

I do pin basting in much the same way that rryder described. I use my cutting table, too. I mark the centers of the backing, batting and top simply by folding in half, length wise and cross-wise and sticking in a quilting pin to mark. First lay out the backing and then the batting, then top matching the center pins, and smooth each layer as I go. I do use blue masking tape if needed to hold the backing in place while adding the other layers. It is not as time consuming as it might sound here. Then add the pins, about a hand-width apart, starting in the middle and working out. While it is on the table, I might just walk by and add a few pins or I might stand and pin a lot. Depends on what else is going on. I don't mind the process at all. It gives me a chance to "pet" all the components and think about how I want to quilt it. I do FMQ on my DSM. So far, so good, I haven't had any problems with tucks or wrinkles while quilting. Also, I am not in a hurry to finish a quilt. Speed is not in my nature.
Old 10-27-2016, 03:06 AM

I have a large glass topped patio table on the sun porch that measures 77" long by 50" wide. This is what I spray baste on and then I safety pin every 10" or so. Never perfect no matter how I smooth it out, but it does somewhat save my back and knees.
Old 10-27-2016, 03:59 AM

I do it the way Tartan does it. But I use spray. The knee pads help with my titanium knee joints!!
Old 10-27-2016, 04:32 AM

I mostly spray baste. Getting the quilt ready for FMQ is my least favorite part of quilting also but is the best feeling when done and I like to do the whole quilting process myself so I can say I did it myself. Do what works for you.
Old 10-27-2016, 04:35 AM

The wonderful ladies on this quilting board have helped me on my quilting journey in many ways. Layering the quilt is one of them. My first stop each morning to see what I can learn that day.

I use my dining room table, boards and pins. I use to go to church and put folding tables together. Tape the backing, layer the batting and then the top and pin. I tried spray basting a few times and didn't like it. I have never tried the glue method.

Then I read about the board method. I used finished molding so as not to have rough spots on the boards. I store them under my living room couch. I pin about a fist apart the complete quilt. It takes a little time but it no longer than a special trip across town to church to do it.

I have a 104x90 inch quilt that I am quilting now. Took me an a couple of hours to pin but it holds to gather. fine. I am doing ruler work on the quilt and it holds together well as I move the quilt around the sewing table.

Now I can layer the quilt by myself and I am off to do the part I enjoy, machine quilting.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:18 AM

I tried Elmers but it didn't seem to stick very well. I must be doing something wrong. I'm getting ready to sandwich one today so I'll try again. Normally I use Sullivans spray which works very well but it is expensive. I try to get it on sale when possible. Thanks everyone for all the great info
Old 10-27-2016, 07:00 AM

I use the washable glue, like Stitchnripper, and love it! Of course I always wash my quilts and have never had a problem.
Old 10-27-2016, 07:23 AM

I glue smaller quilts on the ironing board......large if I have to on the picnic table......
Old 10-27-2016, 07:30 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tiggersmom View Post
Alyce do you use the washable school glue that is white??? Brand name, is it important???

I can't handle the odors of the spray, much less not liking I can't breath........Thanks,
Yes, usually Elmer's washable school glue that is white. It seems to dry clear, but in the sandwich I can't tell. Please try the glue on a sample. I wonder why people are "afraid" of it. It is cheap, nontoxic, many of us say it doesn't gum up a needle if you let it dry, it has always washed out, etc. Just try it on a sample and let it dry and see how you like it. also, it replaces pin basting, not spray basting, in my opinion, so I don't dilute it or spray it on or paint it on. Just a thin line in a sort of grid pattern. Sometimes I do a meandering pattern. It stays until it is washed out. I'm working on a quilt now and the machine is having zero problems with the glue. I'm having problems with the thread, first time using this kind, but, it is hard to even know the sandwich is held together with glue. If you squeeze out a glob just smooth it with your finger. It washes off easily!! Please try it and let us know!!!