Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Spray, glue, pin, hand baste, or boards? Which one do you prefer? >

Spray, glue, pin, hand baste, or boards? Which one do you prefer?

Spray, glue, pin, hand baste, or boards? Which one do you prefer?

Old 10-30-2016, 03:49 PM

I've never heard of Sharon Schamber and just looked her up on youtube. She has a ton of stuff. Does anyone know exactly what to search for to see her board method? TIA
Old 10-31-2016, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by CindyA View Post
I've never heard of Sharon Schamber and just looked her up on youtube. She has a ton of stuff. Does anyone know exactly what to search for to see her board method? TIA
CindyA...try Sharon Schamber hand baste quilt... she demonstrates using two pieces of pink material which is a little confusing at first... but this method works! I bought the straightest boards I could see at our little hardware/lumber yard... you can probably find straighter using more finished boards...but you'll pay more too AND the material "adheres" to my "not particularly smooth" boards just fine! Good luck!
Old 10-31-2016, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

Here is some info from the Elmer company on the composition of the glue.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...200905731.html

This information is from another source - Reference.com"Some glues are made from the connective tissue of animals, particularly horses. However, Elmer's Glues are only made from man-made ingredients and are safe for use by people with milk allergies.
Elmer's School Glue, the white type used by children for arts and crafts projects, can be removed from surfaces by applying warm water or a cloth soaked in warm water. However, this method does not work for removing glue from clothing. To get the glue out of fabric, soak the material in room temperature water for 24 hours or more to soften the glue, then it can be washed as normal and air-dried."

so it looks like if glue is stubborn, a soaking might help. I just washed another completed glue basted quilt and it is very soft, so maybe the thin line of glue I use did wash out.

The question about migrating to the batting doesn't seem to be an issue since it is apparently made from natural plant materials.

I wonder if the other brands are the same. I've used Target brand with good results. I don't know who makes it and what the formula is.
Old 10-31-2016, 06:32 AM

I recently stripped the backing off of a quilt after I'd glued it on with Elmer's. I noticed it was already starting to pill up so it had to go. I just soaked the quilt in my tub for about 20 minutes (lukewarm water) and then the backing peeled right off! I kept the batting attached to the top - had to re-smooth parts of it when it came out of the water but I let it dry as-is and enough glue stayed to keep those two parts together. (I laid it as flat as possible in the tub and let it air-dry there.) Glued on a new back and I was good to go!

It's pretty forgiving glue - it's never "permanent", not even when you dry it with the iron.
Old 10-31-2016, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
Here is some info from the Elmer company on the composition of the glue.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...200905731.html

This information is from another source - Reference.com"Some glues are made from the connective tissue of animals, particularly horses. However, Elmer's Glues are only made from man-made ingredients and are safe for use by people with milk allergies.
Elmer's School Glue, the white type used by children for arts and crafts projects, can be removed from surfaces by applying warm water or a cloth soaked in warm water. However, this method does not work for removing glue from clothing. To get the glue out of fabric, soak the material in room temperature water for 24 hours or more to soften the glue, then it can be washed as normal and air-dried."

so it looks like if glue is stubborn, a soaking might help. I just washed another completed glue basted quilt and it is very soft, so maybe the thin line of glue I use did wash out.

The question about migrating to the batting doesn't seem to be an issue since it is apparently made from natural plant materials.
Hi, Stitchnripper -

I'm not following your reasoning here at all. It looks like, from the link, that Elmer's has a special line called "naturals." If one uses it to glue-baste, why would it being natural affect whether or not it migrates into the batting?

Plus, the Reference.com link says that the regular school glue is only made from man-made ingredients. Does that mean that it *does* migrate into the batting?

Plus, what kind of batting? Poly seems a lot less natural than some others, to me.

I have not had chemistry or physics, even in high school, so there's doubtless a lot I'm missing here.

hugs,
charlotte
Old 10-31-2016, 06:00 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by charlottequilts View Post
Hi, Stitchnripper -

I'm not following your reasoning here at all. It looks like, from the link, that Elmer's has a special line called "naturals." If one uses it to glue-baste, why would it being natural affect whether or not it migrates into the batting?

Plus, the Reference.com link says that the regular school glue is only made from man-made ingredients. Does that mean that it *does* migrate into the batting?

Plus, what kind of batting? Poly seems a lot less natural than some others, to me.

I have not had chemistry or physics, even in high school, so there's doubtless a lot I'm missing here.

hugs,
charlotte
Well I am easily confused! I thought elmers changed their formula to be made out of plant materials primarily. Someone upthread mentioned the migrating. I think the glue adheres better on cotton batting. I don't think I have any issues with it health wise so am going to continue to use it.
Old 10-31-2016, 06:28 PM

505 spray works so well, saves time, saves my aching back from all that pinning and I have never had it gum up my machine. I even use my design wall to do the spraying! with plenty of ventilation though!
Old 11-01-2016, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
Well I am easily confused! I thought elmers changed their formula to be made out of plant materials primarily. Someone upthread mentioned the migrating. I think the glue adheres better on cotton batting. I don't think I have any issues with it health wise so am going to continue to use it.
Well, I surely wish I'd glued my current project. It's very soft and pin-basted and moving way too much. When someone here mentioned thread-basting, the light bulb went on, so I'm running machine basting lines.

hugs,
charlotte
Old 11-04-2016, 02:35 PM

I am about ready to try glue basting, but thought that MAYBE if I dilute it (say about 50-50) and put it in a spray bottle it should work pretty much the same way that 505 does. Has anyone ever tried this?
Old 11-04-2016, 04:08 PM
Power Poster

I pin baste the smaller ones I quilt on my domestic and use the Little Grace II quilting table for regular or queen sized quilts. I haven't been able to talk myself into a full blown long arm yet. Not cost effective for me. I do send some of my quilts to a long arm quilter if I want it to be more fancy than I can do myself.

I use almost the same as what rob does to pin mine.

I just can't stand that horrible smell of the 505.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 11-04-2016 at 04:10 PM.