Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Square in a square ruler >

Square in a square ruler

Square in a square ruler

Old 09-24-2020, 04:51 AM

Default Square in a square ruler

Was wondering if anyone in the forum uses the square in a square method by Jodi Barrows? I’ve had the original ruler for years but I’ve never used it. I watched a webinar yesterday and it looks like it would take a whole new way of thinking. Just wondered if anyone uses it and how well you like it before I would invest in a book. Looking forward to your comments.
Old 09-24-2020, 04:55 AM

I've got that book and have made some attempts at it. True you have to put on your good and tight thinking cap. But some of the them turned out real nice. I think practice makes the difference. You should be able to find that book used on Amazon or eBay.
Marcia
Old 09-24-2020, 05:57 AM
Power Poster

There are simpler ways to make square in a square blocks for me. I had that ruler and book but using it never got easier.
Old 09-24-2020, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by bneuen View Post
Was wondering if anyone in the forum uses the square in a square method by Jodi Barrows? I’ve had the original ruler for years but I’ve never used it. I watched a webinar yesterday and it looks like it would take a whole new way of thinking. Just wondered if anyone uses it and how well you like it before I would invest in a book. Looking forward to your comments.
I have done a couple of quilts using that method and it is great for using up scraps. I had a basket of thimbleberries fabrics left over from other projects and used up a lot of the small pieces. I did take a class from Jodi at a quilt conference when I was first starting out with making quilts....I should get those rulers out again and give it another whirl. I have several of her other rulers and books. The method does take some getting used to and I would advise starting with one of the beginning projects to get used to the method. I think my first quilt was named something like "wonky stars" the basic unit was a 8 pointed star.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:06 AM

I have several of her books and most of the rulers. Recently I've been watching her live webinars and using some of the information. It takes a lot of practice and patience...but the results are spot on. I'm a big fan of Jodi and the system.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:52 AM

I also have the ruler and instruction booklet from many years ago... only made one item, which ended up being a pillow cover....I had cut off all the points somehow....but just closed all the gaps with quilting
Old 09-24-2020, 07:55 AM
Power Poster

I saw her years ago maybe on simply quilts with Alex Anderson and tried her method with my regular ruler and did get a good result. I’d have to refresh myself again.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:43 AM
Power Poster

I do not have that ruler and have forbidden myself to buy anymore specially rulers until I use all the ones still in the packaging.😂
Old 09-24-2020, 10:50 AM

I just watched a video on that, and that is what I do using my EZ angle ruler, it has the diagonal lines, but it's much smaller and easier to handle.

Though it's not normally for doing the sq in a sq block, I do them differently. I don't like covered corners, so I figure what the exact size of the inner square has to be and go from there.
Old 09-25-2020, 06:04 AM

I bought the whole thing. Took a class from Jodi. Made 2 quilts using the rulers. Myself, they are more work then they are worth to me. This is just MHO. I know others love her way. But to me it is a new way of thinking. My aging mind just doesn't have time to learn it. She does have some really good tips though.