Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Squaring up a quilt after FMQ'ing but before binding >

Squaring up a quilt after FMQ'ing but before binding

Squaring up a quilt after FMQ'ing but before binding

Old 10-09-2011, 08:21 AM

Do you square your quilt top before or after?

I was just reading on Leah Day's blog that she FMQs then puts the quilt in the bath tub with hot water...dries and then squares it off...then binds. Never heard of that...does anyone else do that?
Old 10-09-2011, 08:33 AM

Never! but seems to me that theres no reason it shouldn't work! BUT I would think you would have to alow extra all around the edges for cutting off!
Old 10-09-2011, 08:53 AM
Power Poster

i always square my quilt up- trim it straight before adding my binding- it's just the way i was taught- to add a nice straight binding- i need a nice straight edge. i lay the quilt out on the floor-(only space large enough) and start at one corner- i line my ruler up with a straight line on the quilt- and trim with a rotory cutter (or sometimes it is better for me to draw the straight line with a pencil- then cut with scissors after all 4 sides are marked)
i continue up the side of the quilt- with ruler- getting one side straight/even- then i turn it - line up with the straight edge i just cut or marked- and do the next side- continueing around the quilt until all 4 sides are either cut or marked-
then when it is all done i add my binding.
if doing a quilt that needs to be perfectly squared i measure it diagonally to make sure both diagonal measurements are equal- if they are not then one side is (off) and i need to square it up- but for most of my quilts just having a straight edge all the way around is all i need to add the binding.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:58 AM

Do you wash it though prior to binding?
Originally Posted by ckcowl
i always square my quilt up- trim it straight before adding my binding- it's just the way i was taught- to add a nice straight binding- i need a nice straight edge. i lay the quilt out on the floor-(only space large enough) and start at one corner- i line my ruler up with a straight line on the quilt- and trim with a rotory cutter (or sometimes it is better for me to draw the straight line with a pencil- then cut with scissors after all 4 sides are marked)
i continue up the side of the quilt- with ruler- getting one side straight/even- then i turn it - line up with the straight edge i just cut or marked- and do the next side- continueing around the quilt until all 4 sides are either cut or marked-
if doing a quilt that needs to be perfectly squared i measure it diagonally to make sure both diagonal measurements are equal- if they are not then one side is (off) and i need to square it up- but for most of my quilts just having a straight edge all the way around is all i need to add the binding.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:01 AM

No, I don't trim. I just serge a nice straight edge on the quilted part. That makes it easier to sew on the borders or binding.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:09 AM

If you wash it, you can block it square before you add the binding. The quilt will hang flatter and it's easier to get the binding even.

I square my quilts up and bind them. I usually wash quilt show entries after binding and block them. If it's for my bed, I just wash it.

Janet
Old 10-09-2011, 09:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Hinterland
If you wash it, you can block it square before you add the binding. The quilt will hang flatter and it's easier to get the binding even.

I square my quilts up and bind them. I usually wash quilt show entries after binding and block them. If it's for my bed, I just wash it.

Janet
this and Leah Day's method sure makes sense. especially since the quilting draws in the fabric and the edges don't always get the quilting.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:50 AM

Same here
Old 10-09-2011, 09:52 AM

I pre wash all my fabric first before I cut and piece. I square up my quilt after FMQ and before sewing on the binding...
Old 10-09-2011, 10:10 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by loves_2_quilt
Same here
and a ditto here too!

Not said, though I'm sure CKCowl subliminally ment so .... when I get to the corners, I make sure they are squared up to be crisp 90° corners!

As for the washing .... I'm a pre-washer, before I even start to cut and sew ... so no further washing at the end of the quilt-making process.