Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Star Sashing Frustration >

Star Sashing Frustration

Star Sashing Frustration

Old 09-17-2012, 10:15 AM

Default Star Sashing Frustration

I've started on my second quilt ever and think I may have gotten in over my head. I chose to do a Star Sashing Baby Quilt for a friend of mine...and I've been VERY diligent about my 1/4 inch seam allowances...to the point of measuring each one and drawing a line in which to stitch over. Well, one of my sashing pieces isn't matching the star points in ONE star only. I'm so frustrated and don't know how to fix it. The star sashes are color coordinated, so I can't see if a different sash would "fit".

How do you guys get your seams to align perfectly? I see all these GORGEOUS quilts and I see no mistakes in ANY of them...and I can't get my seams to match up.

Sorry...so frustrated.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-17-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:23 AM

It would help to see a picture of the 2 pieces, to know what you are trying to match. You should be able to fudge one or the other, but I don't know the pattern.

As for all those "perfect" quilts you see - that is the beauty of someone else's work. You never see the flaws anywhere but your own. I'm sure even the quilts you think are gorgeous, the maker probably thought there was some flaw somewhere. We are always most critical of our own work - and of course you *know* where the issue is. In a finished quilt, I'm sure that even if you don't get this one spot to match perfectly, no one but you is every likely to notice it.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:45 AM
Power Poster

I agree that it would be easier to answer if the question was shown in addition to being described. It isn't clear where the sashing is off - in relation to the points or in length or what?

As to the other quilts being "perfect" - NOT (and I am speaking from personal experience). All of my quilts have some little issue or other. The good news is that small discrepancies often do not show up as glaring errors. I give myself a 3x order and if the problem still persists after 2 attempts to get it right, the 3rd attempt will go in the quilt as is. Most of the time when the quilt is done, I have a tough time finding the problem bit.

So don't fret - perfection is dang near impossible.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:09 AM
Power Poster

A lot of QB members like a tiny spot of Elmer's washable school glue to hold hard to match pieces. I have not tried it for that but it works well for holding the binding edge down for quilt binding. If you have oly one small spot not matching, only you will notice it. I have yet to make a "perfect" quilt.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:09 PM

You must not have been looking at my quilts ... I do aim for perfection, but I am human.

As for the specific problem your having, yes a picture would help. In general though you said that you are measuring and marking all of your 1/4" seams. Are you measuring them before or after sewing and ironing? Makes a difference. The thread takes up space, and the fabric does as well (when seams are pressed to one side, not so much when seams are pressed open). The smaller the piecing - the more the differences will be in the outcome of the whole block.

I don't know the exact pattern you are using but in general it's easier to press the seams open on star patterns because so many seams meet at one center point. If you are not pressing open, this can throw the whole thing off as well.

So ... show us a photo - front and back of block would be nice, and we'll see if we can help.

And ... if all else fails ... you said that you may be in "over your head". There is NOTHING wrong with putting a quilt away for another day - in this case until you are more confident that you can perform this specific skill, and make your friend a different quilt.

But let's see if we can help you first!!
Old 09-17-2012, 12:39 PM

Keep on working and forget the idea that all the quilts you see are perfectly done!! I am always a bit frustrated with my final product, too! And after some time passes, even I can't remember what bugged me! Unless it is a glaring mistake, others often won't see it at all! Best of luck on your stars!
Old 09-17-2012, 12:53 PM
Power Poster

I try to do my best, within reason, but I also ascribe to the galloping horse theory - if someone on the galloping horse can't see the mistake, don't worry about it. Even at quilt shows you will see mismatched points if that's what you're looking for. So quit looking at that one small imperfection and enjoy the beauty of your quilt.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:00 AM

I have yet to make a quilt that is 100% (to me) error free. But like others, I go with the "galloping horse" theory