Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stitch in the ditch quilting - What am I in for? >

Stitch in the ditch quilting - What am I in for?

Stitch in the ditch quilting - What am I in for?

Old 09-30-2018, 04:07 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by pocoellie View Post
I find it easier to FMQ than stitch in the ditch. LOL
me too! Plus if I want to do anything like stitch in the ditch I find it easier with the FMQ foot on. Nothing hitches up and it is much smoother. And I do have the stitch in the ditch foot and walking foot but don’t like to do stitch in the ditch with either one of them or a regular foot.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt301 View Post
Before I got my HQ16 I would do serpentine stitch on top of the ditch using my built in walking foot on my Janome. It looks pretty on both the front and back.
i saw a pic of a d9p quilt done with parallel rows of serpintine stitching on a modern quilt website. i loved the look. so used it on a pair of d9p quilts for my grand treasures. wavy over main seams then stid in some of other seams. the grands other gramma & their mother kept going back & turning it over & back ..they loved the look too . it turned out wonderful!, now i use the serpentine just for the fun of it --if appropriate to pattern.
and i enjoy doing sid when appropriate to final look i want for quilt. yes it is time consuming but that's ok ..everything i do in quilting, sewing, knitting whatever type of handwork i'm doing, is time consuming ...i do it for pleasure, not to increase quantity of finishes.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Beachbound View Post
How about hand quilting? I have always quilted next to the seam instead of in the seam. Any hand quilters stitch in the actual ditch?
yes, i have, but depends on my actual plan for overall finished look. freestyle, templates (i make my own), sid or shadow quilting (a style used extensively & currently by quilting 1/4" both sides of seam) ..i use all tecniques in my handquilting. large quilts, mini's or wall quilts.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by heron View Post
Thanks for all your thoughts and tips. Lots for me to consider.
thanks to you for starting this thread! it's like sitting with my quilt group listening to everyones ideas, sharing tips.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:01 PM
Power Poster

A special foot for that very thing is helpful. I have one that has a center guide that helps keep you on track. Also stitching on one side of the seam with a narrow with (1/8") looks nice.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:41 PM
Power Poster

I took a class at a quilt show one year, long ago, and we used a double needle with only one needle threaded. The unthreaded needle went directly in the seam for a guide. It worked to keep the stitching even.