Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stitch Regulator Advantage? >

Stitch Regulator Advantage?

Stitch Regulator Advantage?

Old 09-20-2018, 05:07 AM

Default Stitch Regulator Advantage?

I’ve never used a stitch regulator for FMQ, and it seems like the difference would be night and day … so is it? I’m thinking of on a DSM, but I imagine the same applies to longarms. For those of you who have tried FMQ both with and without a regulator, how much did it help? Does it help more when you’re a beginner, but then later on when you’re proficient you don’t really need it (but I would leave it on anyway I imagine)?
Old 09-20-2018, 06:22 AM

I bought a very old HQ16 that did not have the regulator. Not every stitch is exactly the same size but I do not make show quilts. Once the quilt is washed and dried it makes no difference at all.

Friends tell me after a while they "outrun" the regulator. I am not quite sure what that means but I quilt fairly quickly on my HQ. They ended up turning it off.

That being said--I do not do pantos. I just quilt free from the front of the machine. I think it is very helpful with those.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:54 AM

The only one I have tried is a Fabric Mover stitch regulator... and it was cumbersome because you had to stop and re-position the opening so often. The stitches looked lovely though.... it was also very pricey for my Husqvarna.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:21 AM

I got a stitch regulator with my used Tiara. I tried it when I bought it and never have used it since. Having to re-adjust it under the fabric, keep it a certain distance away from the needle and listen to it beep when I went too fast wasn't pleasant. I'd rather wok on keep ing my stitches even as I can myself.

Watson
Old 09-20-2018, 10:23 AM

Thanks for the replies, Watson, ThimbleBug and LuvsToQuilt. I expected people to like them and maybe even gush on about them, and it's interesting that the replies so far are not enthusiastic. I welcome more opinions and experiences.

There might be a shop where I can try one out, but it's not near me. I would definitely want to try one out before buying, but I might be as well off practicing more, as Watson said. I'm not looking for quilt show quality, I just don't want anything that's really off (those inch-long stitches that I sometimes get when I stop and start and the quilt sticks).
Old 09-20-2018, 10:45 AM
Power Poster

I can't speak for DSM or sitdown machines but as far as a LA is concerned, I wouldn't be without a stitch regulator. But I learned using one and only quilted without one in a classroom setting. Speaking only for LA I think a SR reduces your learning curve considerably. You can focus on movement and technique and not worry about keeping your stitch length consistent. The quality of the stitch regulator makes a huge difference as well. Many lesser quality ones and after market ones could very easily be more of a distraction/hindrance than help.
The base SR that came with my innova was great but I upgraded to the lightening stitch early this year and wow what a difference. It is super responsive, I no longer get a slightly longer stitch when going from a dead stop into a quicker motion, I have a much larger selection of stitch lengths from a basting stitch all the way up to something like 20 SPI for micro work and the regulator controller is now on the front of my machine head instead of at the back. I love my lightening stitch!
Old 09-20-2018, 10:50 AM

I love the stitch regulator on my Bernina longarm. Prior to the stitch regulator, my stitches were bigger and uneven. After a couple years (when I started quilting without the stitch regulator) I was finally getting some decent stitches, but the stitch regulator makes perfectly sized stitches. It's possible to go too fast for the regulator to keep up. When that happens, it will keep beeping and it's annoying and you can turn off the beeper. You're kind if defeating the purpose then. It's made me slow down to a reasonable pace, though, and after using one now for over 5 or 6 years, it's made me a better quilter I think.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:55 PM
Power Poster

I think I would like a machine with a SR but I never used one. I use to be better at stitch length being more consistent. I FMQ more often but doesn't seem to my liking as much. I am older and my body is too. Who knows?
Old 09-20-2018, 04:16 PM

A Bernina with a stitch regulator, is OK if you're not in a hurry. They only go 800 to 1000 stitches per minute. When you compare that with 2400 stitches per minute on a longarm, that makes a huge difference.

I love the stitch regulator on my HandiQuilter, but I do alright without the stitch regulator on my little Bernina.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:47 PM

Long arm yes its lovely. DSM it can be jerky when your hands are faster than the regulator if you don't have consistent speed it makes the iregulator have jerky looking stitches. When you change speed. If you have consistent speed your stitches will look nicer without a regulator imho so its not worth the money for a domestic. Haven't touched mine in forever