Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Storm at Sea Quilting Advice >

Storm at Sea Quilting Advice

Storm at Sea Quilting Advice

Old 11-28-2022, 10:09 PM

The issue with stitch in the ditch is you risk your quilting just going straight between the fabric pieces rather than through them. It's not really an issue unless you've ironed all the seams open or have incredibly scanty seams.

But I still think outlining the blocks is the way to go, like P-Burg was talking about. That or freehand lines that follow the diamond blocks, emphasizing the wave illusion.
Old 11-29-2022, 03:18 AM

7 or 8 years ago several friends and I each made SAS quilts and SID'd each quilt on our domestsic machines. They have held up very well being laundered throughout the years. You want SID, don't let yourself be talked out of it. Will all your stitching lines be exactly where you wanted them? No, but there are no Quilt Police and the affect is wonderful (take it from the Group who did just that). Good luck. If possible, always listen to yourself on your own quilts.
Old 04-08-2023, 05:55 AM

Just to give an update. The quilt is finished! Had an amazing longarm quilter do the SID for me following the waves so the pattern on the backing mirrors the front. She also freehanded some little accents in the corners which look amazing. I love how it turned out.
Old 04-08-2023, 07:39 AM

SID would work but it does not do justice to this lovely pattern. I would SID but then do very simple ruler quilting in some of the shapes. Very simple, as the piecing is really the star of the show in this quilt!

Maybe some simple starbursts in the big diamonds, something more curvy in the squares?
Old 04-08-2023, 07:39 AM
Power Poster

That is so beautiful!
I can't believe it is your first piecing. You did a fabulous job ! And your longarmer did as well.
Old 04-08-2023, 10:08 AM
Power Poster

Very beautiful. You and your longarmer did great work. I also am surprised to find this is your first quilt! Not an easy pattern to start with...