Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
String Quilts - Paper, stabilizer, fabric or None? >

String Quilts - Paper, stabilizer, fabric or None?

String Quilts - Paper, stabilizer, fabric or None?

Old 09-24-2020, 01:27 PM

I really like Ginger's quilt too - I've got a tote full of strings (strips less than 1.5" wide) and have been wondering what to do with them, and this would work well. I also have a tote full of 1.5" strips that could be used for the sashing and 9 patch blocks.
Old 09-24-2020, 02:06 PM

Thanks Janiebakes and Macybaby. I found the 3 strip sashing and 9 patch cornerstones took almost as long to make as the blocks themselves. But I do like the look of them.
Old 09-24-2020, 02:12 PM

I have done string piecing without any foundation....but only when the strings were fairly wide and mostly on grain. you don't want edges off grain because they will stretch. I used my cutting mat as a guide on how big to make the string squares, made them oversized and then cut down with my ruler. I used a wider string at the top and the bottom so I had enough to square it up without cutting into seams.

I have used muslin ...but that really made the finished quilt heavy and you would have to wash and press first. I did not care for this method.

and I have made string blocks with phone book pages. I actually like this method best. I have not had problems with any ink rubbing off like you would get with newspaper....the older the phonebook, the better I hear as the ink is well set with age. I use smaller stitches so the paper is easy to tear off and do the tearing process while watching TV...it goes pretty quickly. I will also use a crochet hock or chopstick or something to get at the paper behind those narrow strings...I find starting at one edge and then working across the square works well as you have one lose edge of paper as you move across... Some folks think that phone book paper is the easiest to remove...and it has been the best for me.
Old 09-24-2020, 02:14 PM

SEPHIE, Have you tried that method yourself? If so, how did you personally deal with quilting the back?

GingerK, Are those 1 1/2" strips you used for that sashing around the block? That is such a pretty look.

Last edited by Schill93; 09-24-2020 at 02:26 PM.
Old 09-24-2020, 02:44 PM

Ginger K I love your quilt layout. It didn’t get me dizzy when I looked at it. Some do and maybe it’s the busy layout of them and When I try to focus 🙄your blocks are separated and I need to save this idea.thanks
Old 09-24-2020, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I made a string quilt with 4) none of the above - I sewed strip sets together, starched the snot out of them, cut them on the diagonal, and assembled.

I like this string quilt too and the fact that you starched it so well😂🤣-great job getting the blues an d reds to match up so well to the adjoining blocks.
Old 09-24-2020, 03:55 PM
Power Poster

I use sheets of the paper you get at a bakery. Easy to tear when finished.
Old 09-24-2020, 05:29 PM
Power Poster

If you use thin paper, use a tracing wheel along the seam lines and the paper will come off like magic usually in one piece. I sometimes leave paper in the seams, it doesn't make any difference.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by toogie View Post
I like this string quilt too and the fact that you starched it so well😂🤣-great job getting the blues an d reds to match up so well to the adjoining blocks.
They don't match at all! Lol. That's the beauty of using strips of all different widths, none of the seams need to match. Just the corners of the blocks, and that's easy to do.
Old 09-25-2020, 12:16 AM

GingerK, love your quilt. Great idea with the sashing and 9 patches. Makes a really beautiful quilt.