Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
This stunned me a bit >

This stunned me a bit

This stunned me a bit

Old 02-05-2010, 11:54 AM

Just shows how foolish she is :cry: :cry:
Old 02-05-2010, 12:19 PM

Well that was just plain rude and harsh. The nerve of her. Im sorry you had to deal with that rude comment, and proud that you kept yur wits and didn't smack her upside her head.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:57 PM

You are such wonderful witty quilters.
To be perfectly honest it scares me to think of machine quilting....I know that the look I want requires patience, precision and practice (hum....the 3 "p's" of quilting) (grin) and I don't feel that I am ready to try. I love and admire the hand quilted items , however, I love and admire the machine quilted items also. It is the quality of each of them that is what sets them apart. I am not a good hand quilter,but feel I have better control. The two things that intimidates me about machine quilting is learning the control and working with large amount of material. Sorry to digress....Some people who try to start conversations in an area they don't understand or are educated about, should keep their mouth shut. ....oops....soap box again. (grin)
Old 02-05-2010, 01:03 PM

We had friends visiting from Australia and they wanted to purchase large amounts of good fabric so we went to a quilt shop (now out of business) and M was prepared to buy. She saw a color that was up higher than she could reach and really wanted it...first thing out of his mouth was...are you going to buy some or am I wasting my time? Her face got very red and she said no that she wasn't going to buy anything and we were leaving. She had previously heard him tell a class that the pure way of quilting was by hand. We went to another shop and they went out of their way to help us and needless to say she spent a LOT of money and shipped the stuff home.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:04 PM

I guess I just don't get it. I've never seen hand quilting as the "real" way, but more of the "old" way. Machine quilting to me has seemed like the newer and prefered way to quilt, but certainly not an inferior way.

Most the people that voice their opinion about machine quilting not being "real" are people who couldn't do either type of quilting if their lives depended on it. :P
Old 02-05-2010, 01:20 PM

RUDE!
Old 02-05-2010, 01:22 PM

Oh for pity's sake. She should mind her own business.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:27 PM

I recall reading in quilt history that women used sewing machines for piecing their quilts from the very beginning of the machine's invention. Think what a boon that was to those who made their own clothes. I often wondered how they wore those tight bodices without the seams popping! (or was that for the benefit of the camera in the western movies?) I might have tried to hand stitch one dress and after that? I would have wrapped myself in burlap. Whew! Hand sewing a long dress with yards and yards of fabric was not me.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:29 PM
MCH

I would have said something like, "Well, they were pieced by candle light on a tradle machine, does that qualify them to have a bit of 'real quilt DNA'?"

Or, "Do thoses cookies you bake in the oven qualify as cookies or should they have been cooked over an open fire to qualify as 'real cookies'?"

Or, "In my universe,it's real quilting, thanks!"
Old 02-05-2010, 01:37 PM

awww, sorry that you had to go thru that but at least you have a great support group here. I am giggling because I hand quilt everything & am trying to learn how to machine quilt. My grandma hand pieced her quilts but took them to the church ladies to quilt for her. Grandpa was a taylor & made quilts to keep the family warm with his leftover scraps...those he tied. Quilts are like people~ no two are alike.