Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stupid Sewing Machine >

Stupid Sewing Machine

Stupid Sewing Machine

Old 03-15-2010, 08:26 AM

She was one of the many pets who died a few years ago after eating pet food that contained an additive imported from China that caused renal failure. Just one of many products that people buy believing they can trust the manufacturer but, in fact, even the manufacturer doesn't entirely know what the ingredients are because they import so much without checking. So many products from China have been implicated in products that turn out to be dangerous that I choose not to buy if I can. The latest one is children's bracelets containing cadmium.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:35 AM
Power Poster

If it says made in China it can stay in China as far as I'm concerned. It's getting almost impossible to buy sewing/quilting notions/tools that are not made in China. Disgusting and so very sad.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:41 AM

Berninas are great machines - I have an Artista 155 and I love it. It is 8 years old and has never been serviced except for regular cleaning and maintenance.

Use your mom's Bernina, it's a way of remembering her doing something you love, and she would be pleased.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:00 AM

one more thing you might want to check is the needle---try putting a new one in and see if that helps.
Also make sure your thread is going through the notch for the tension. Sometimes it is easy to miss that.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:13 AM

My machine did the same thing and it was an EASY fix, I had the bobbin in the bobin holder wrong. Take out your bobbin and flip it or just make sure it feeds the correct way and that should solve your problem. I know your frustration but when I did it I was thrilled to find it was an easy fix without costing me $80 for a overhaul at the sewing machine hospital.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:20 AM

All of your suggestions I have tried and tried and tried that is why it is so frustrating to use that machine. I am taking it in this weekend to the man that serviced my mom's machine. He is going to take a look at it and if he can't fix it then it is gone. I don't want to fight with my machine everytime I sit down to use it. I just about broke out in tears when I used my mom's and the tension was beautiful and stitches were straight and aligned without a battle.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:27 AM

[You might want to spray starch the backing fabric before machine quilting again; it really helps with preventing puckers, especially if you are not using a walking foot. No need to iron, since the quilt is already layered. You can just spray lightly, let it dry, spray one or two more times, and be ready for quilting.[/quote]

Thanks for this tip. I'll have to try that.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:33 AM

Good for you...when I saw the 'glue' idea, as a quilting teacher I almost fainted, as that would have been a disaster. I have a Janome 10000 that I love and have even used less expensive Janomes successfully. One of the reasons I bought Janome is that buying the extra feet is very reasonable.
I think it was definitely the bobbin tension. I've had almost every machine and a Bernina for years which I loved, but never owned a Bernette. However, if you're using a Bernina Artista, that's a beaut, too.
Good luck -- remember in quilting "glue" is a 4-letter word!
Old 03-16-2010, 09:35 AM

I've never done that, as I always use a walking foot. However, I always do spray starch the top of the quilting before I start stitching. Never thought about spraying the backing - hmm, worth a try! Thanks.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:37 AM

Get a pfaff. they are the best ever!!