Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Suggestions needed

Suggestions needed

Asking for some advice. This is a WIP for my grandson - a few of his favorite things. Basically the background is gray blocks, red, white and gray borders, and "panels" of his "loves" which I plan to applique on. My plan is to mark each location with glow tape and/or marking pen, back and iron on with Heat N Bond, then applique. Is Heat N Bond the best to use , or Wonder Under by Pellon?Name:  Adam's 2.jpg
Views: 1250
Size:  538.7 KB OK so I've never done applique! But I've been practicing .... and practicing! Not seeming to be satisfied yet with my results. Any tips, suggestions would be Greatly appreciated. TIA
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-14-2018 at 08:57 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

Blog Entries
    I like to use Wonder Under light--stays soft

I use Steam a Seam light. To keep your blocks soft you can trim the fusible to cover just the outer edges of your blocks. Whatever brand you use make sure it is "light" or your quilt will be quite stiff and your machine needle will get gunked up with sticky stuff

Blog Entries
    I’ve used heat n bond lite for years, I’ve tried some others but for me that one works best for my appliqué projects
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Power Poster
    Make sure it is heat and bond Lite not regular heat and bond as that makes stiff appliqués. Wonderunder is good also. You might want to “window” your large appliqués. That is when you remove the fusible from the middle before fusing and leave about an inch around the edge. Sometimes you can reuse the window middle again for a smaller appliqué .
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-14-2018 at 05:43 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps

I use Misty Fuse. Can't tell it's there.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Another vote for Misty fuse. It's a very sheer fusible and easy to use.

I use Steam a Seam Lite. The regular one does indeed make it stiff which is great for a wall hanger, but not a quilt. the Lite doesn't gunk up your needle either.

Either Steam-a-Seam Lite or MistyFuse. Neither gets stiff.

By the way, the quilt is adorable!
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

My suggestion is to make the pieces "floating", to put the shadow on one side and across the bottom. I would look at some on you-tube or pinterest before you decide. I think it would have all of the pieces brought together by the one color of shadow fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post
    Either Steam-a-Seam Lite or MistyFuse. Neither gets stiff.

By the way, the quilt is adorable!
    that's my vote

I've only appliqued on one quilt. I don't remember which fusible I used, but took the advice of the ladies at JoAnns.

What I did was sew the fusible on right side, cut out the middle of the fusible and turn it. Then ironed it on. After that, I machine appliqued the edges. That way, I had no raw edges. I made 5 pointed stars and they were far from perfect, but with square pieces, it would be a piece of cake.

bkay

Blog Entries
    I would use a light non-woven interfacing, put it nubby side to right side of the panels, stitch all the way around each applique, slit the interfacing in the middle, trim the corners, then turn right side out. Iron them in place, then while watching TV in the evening, hand sew them down, but you could machine sew them if you like. With an applique as big as those, I would never try needle turn applique, but I am terrible at needle turn.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

See if you can find a book on applique by Pat Campbell. She taught applique for years and is an expert in her field. I had the opportunity to take a class from her, and it was wonderful! Make sure your stitches do not show on the front of the fabric. Also, make sure that your needle enters the fabric at the EDGE of the item and that the rest of the stitches do not show as they enter the fabric. Using a small needle helps as does matching thread. Good luck on learning this wonderful new skill. The applique should appear to float on the surface so you don't want your stitches to show where you have attached the applique to the body of the fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by cjsews View Post
    I use Steam a Seam light. To keep your blocks soft you can trim the fusible to cover just the outer edges of your blocks. Whatever brand you use make sure it is "light" or your quilt will be quite stiff and your machine needle will get gunked up with sticky stuff
    I like all the Steam A Seam products. They work very well.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight