Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Sunbonnet Sue Question

Sunbonnet Sue Question

I was recently at a resale shop and purchased 12 Sunbonnet Sue Squares. They are all "cut out" and pinned. My question is . . . do you use threads to match each piece or do you use the main color of thread on everything? Please help, I would really like to complete these squares. Thank you.

Whichever way you choose is fine. It just depends on the look you are after. Have fun with it and be sure to pics

I generally match the thread to each piece as I applique it. Whichever way is fine.

When I applique, I don't want the stitches to show so I use the color of the applique I'm piecing.... not the background color. I use a blind stitch and you don't see the stitching. Of course, you need a lot of colors but for me that's not a problem.... I must have 100's of spools of thread that I've gotten over the years. If it's really old, I pull off the 1st layer of thread. I've never had a problem with the thread breaking, even for very old threads.

Yes, do let us see your blocks. I'm really wanting to do a sunbonnet sue quilt..... just need to get some of those pesky UFOs finished.

Blog Entries
    I made my DD a Sunbonnet Sue and Overall Sam quilt a few years ago using the Quilt in Day book. I appliqued Sue and Sam on with a black thread. It was how DD wanted it. I liked it but it did show every tiny mistake I made.
    Sherri

some people use all black, are you doing needle turn or machine?

I'm with the thread matching group. I do all like pieces consecutively though - all the dresses/bonnets on each square, then change thread and do all the arms, etc.
    So many quilts, so little time.

If hand appliquing the Sues on, I would do the color match. If sewing by machine I would choose thread color differently.

Welcome to this wonderful board.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

If hand appliqueing, you might be able to use just one thread if you find a good neutral, and if you're doing needle turn so your stitches don't show.

Blog Entries
    I like to use embroidery thread (hand) and use a contrasting color and stitch in a buttonhole stitch.
    TwandasMom

Quote Originally Posted by JanTx View Post
    I'm with the thread matching group. I do all like pieces consecutively though - all the dresses/bonnets on each square, then change thread and do all the arms, etc.
    I would match thread with the fabric unless your stitching is superior. I was never a proficient appliquer....
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

When I applique, I use one neutral color thread, and use the ladder stitch. I will use dark thread for dark pieces sometimes, but usually just stick to neutral and keep the stiches small. I love SBS. Would love to see yours when you have some done. Good luck, and have fun!

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I like the old 1930's look, so I'm voting for heavy black thread like they used. In the end it really won't matter because Sue looks good no matter what.

Check this Google images selection. Sue has been appliqued every which way. Pick the one you love.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sunb...w=1093&bih=490

I have several blocks that were made by an acquaintance's mom many years ago. Hers were hand-sewn using a black "yarn". Sounds awful but they are great!! Will probably sell them someday as I don't think I will ever be talented enough to do them justice. Or I might have my Aunt and her guild do. They do amazing work!!

Blog Entries
    I use white or cream thread and the ladder stitch because doing it that way you never see the thread and I really don't like changing thread every whip stitch but...that's just me. I DO like the look of black with the blanket stitch though. Do whatever makes you happy and I'm sure you'll love it when it's done!

What about using invisible, mono poly thread?

Originally, I believe the color of thread was black. Do what you want, however. Remember, you are working just inches away from your block and your stitches won't show as much when the quilt is on the bed.

I always match the color to any kind of applique, with the exception of a dresden plate. And that was the one a state fair judge told me I did it wrong. He said the blade should match its color. I matched the background.

I have my Mom's sunbonnet sue baby quilt...made in the 30's. They are stitched in black. That poor quilt has gone thru 5 kids...and now is sometimes used as display in my craft booth. It is in very poor shape, I have stitched arms back on...but it isn't usable anymore.
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

Blog Entries
    I use black thread for the applique, using the blanket stitch.
    TxCaRose

Power Poster
    I like to match the thread but it is your quilt and any way is fine...

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I usually match thread to applique. No matter what stitch i'm doing. I tend to wander a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
    I like the old 1930's look, so I'm voting for heavy black thread like they used. In the end it really won't matter because Sue looks good no matter what.

Check this Google images selection. Sue has been appliqued every which way. Pick the one you love.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sunb...w=1093&bih=490
    Wow - I Google/image a lot of things but hadn't thought about SBS images - that really gets the old imagination going. Thank you for mentioning it.

Marysewfun
    Marysewfun
    Have a great day!

I made a sunbonnet sue quilt and used black thread with a buttonhole stitch.
    Happy quilting Grandma