Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Superior Microquilter 100 wt. Anyone use it? >

Superior Microquilter 100 wt. Anyone use it?

Superior Microquilter 100 wt. Anyone use it?

Old 02-28-2020, 05:58 AM
Power Poster

Default Superior Microquilter 100 wt. Anyone use it?

Awhile back I bought several different new-to-me threads to try out for FMQ and one of them is Superior Microquilter 100 wt.
Anyone have experience with this one? That's a really thin thread from what I've been told.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:06 AM

Yes, I use it to fmq when I don’t want the quilting to overwhelm the piecing. Interestingly, my Pfaff doesn’t like it; thread breaks. My Janome 9400 loves it. I use a superior #7 needle. It’s also great for SITD as it’s so fine it melts into the fabric. If you come out of the ditch, as I do, it’s not that noticeable. Experiment with to see I& you like it.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:08 AM

I bought Superior's other 100wt thread first and used it on SITD only. It worked fine for me. Then someone mentioned the MicroQuilter thread was even better so bought that but have yet to try it. Think they liked it better as its not as shiny as the other thread which I wanted. Hopefully this year I'll be back to quilting as just recoveriing from rotor cuff surgery and still have a couple months of therapy to go thru yet.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:17 AM
Power Poster

Snooze, first of all I hope you're healing nicely.
This sounds like the perfect thread for me. My FMQ skills are not the best. I need to practice more but I never seem to get around to it. This thread should hide some of my less-than-stellar work haha
Old 02-28-2020, 08:02 AM

I have a spool sitting in front of me and it is far superior to other invisible threads I have tried over the years. My Janome likes it better than the Brothers. But no matter what machine it still breaks easily and going slowly does help some. One of the more unusual things about using it that it is difficult to see all the places a thread is hanging. I find threads for months after I put a quilt into use that need to be clipped.
Old 02-28-2020, 08:24 AM
Power Poster

I use it when I want a thin thread (such as for SITD or close-together quilting) on the longarm. It love that it comes in so many colors.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:09 AM

I used it for SITD and stippling around some cat-i-tude cats. The only problem I had was using black thread on black fabric. very hard to see. I had no breakage using it. (Handiquilter Simply 16).
Old 02-28-2020, 02:18 PM
Power Poster

I use it a lot for machine applique. Superior recommends a topstitch 70/10 needle with tension set 3-4 and that is what I use and haven't had any problems with tension or breakage. I machine quilt with a Juki so use the same needle size as I use on my Bernina or Brother.
Old 02-28-2020, 07:09 PM

I use it on the long arm when I have dense quilting but don't want a lot of thread build up. it's very nice.
Old 02-28-2020, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
Awhile back I bought several different new-to-me threads to try out for FMQ and one of them is Superior Microquilter 100 wt.
Anyone have experience with this one? That's a really thin thread from what I've been told.
I'm a little confused by your post. At first it sounds like you have bought some Superior Microquilter 100 wt., but then you say "That's a really thin thread from what I've been told"?

Anyway, I've used it for "stitch in the ditch", where it works great! Also, for edges on appliqué' where it also works great! Next, I'm going to use it for FMQ on a reef scene appliqué'. I did a little practice piece and it looks good as well. I'm using Superior Threads #60/8 needles since they don't create quite as big of hole.

Jim