Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
supporting our troops >

supporting our troops

supporting our troops

Old 05-30-2010, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
For those of us already quilting for kids, alzheimers' research, breast cancer support, and other worthwhile recipients, is there a veteran's quilting group that needs a cash donation? I can't quilt for everybody, but I'd like to commemorate my Dad's service in WWII as well as support our troops today. I know every little bit helps!
Hi,
You can just call your local VFW or American Lefion and I am sure they can help you out. Even some local church groups are making soldier quilts and would welcome the donation.
Good Luck and thank you from an Army mom and Navy widow.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:20 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by mrsdralshhadeh
Originally Posted by PatriceJ
we have a battalion of Warriors in Transition (aka Wounded Warriors) here, at Fort Stewart, in Georgia.

our local guild is trying to collect 500 quilts by November for them. if you knew how small the guild is, you'd know how hard we're working to help them meet the goal. :shock:

i think i will have turned red, white & blue by the time november rolls around! :lol:
Hello there,, I am in a WTU here in Ft Dix NJ,, and beleive me,, I wish there was a program here for this. I have asked the MWR ( morale , welfare and recreation) if they have any,, I would like to participate,,and they sadly said no, as many of the soliders here are usually males,, so,, thank you for al that you and however small the guild is,,!!!! :thumbup:
the quilts project is not a WTU program. the guild is a civilian community group. check the local newspapers to see if there's a guild in a nearby civilian community. if you don't find anything in the papers, try contacting some local Chambers of Commerce. they might have information.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by mrsdralshhadeh
we have a battalion of Warriors in Transition (aka Wounded Warriors) here, at Fort Stewart, in Georgia.

our local guild is trying to collect 500 quilts by November for them. if you knew how small the guild is, you'd know how hard we're working to help them meet the goal. :shock:

i think i will have turned red, white & blue by the time november rolls around! :lol:
Hello there,, I am in a WTU here in Ft Dix NJ,, and beleive me,, I wish there was a program here for this. I have asked the MWR ( morale , welfare and recreation) if they have any,, I would like to participate,,and they sadly said no, as many of the soliders here are usually males,, so,, thank you for al that you and however small the guild is,,!!!! :thumbup:
the quilts project is not a WTU program. the guild is a civilian community group. check the local newspapers to see if there's a guild in a nearby civilian community. if you don't find anything in the papers, try contacting some local Chambers of Commerce. they might have information.
Also try local quilt stores.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:55 AM

I was going to suggest LQS too.

Anyone near Silver Lake/Fayetteville NC the LQS I am familiar with is "Lovin Stitches" I know they have a group and take donations. It an awesome quilt shop.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:03 PM

Patches could always use a cash donation for buying fabric and batting, thread. We give the quilts to VA in West Los Angles, VA hospital Sepulveda CA and to Brook army Medical. Check out the web Patchesfabrics.com philanthropy Operation Mend UCLA. The kids who need community service for graduation can get a 20 hr service certificate which is what the colleges are looking at these days to get accepted. How much service they will give back to their communities when they graduate. If you go the search here and put in for the troops you will see some of the kids who have made their quits. I'm also going to add pictures of some of the recipients.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:26 PM

:) We make Christmas stockings and helmet liners for the troops in Iraq. We recently gave a donation of $2000 to the "original shoe box lady" in Belleview Florida to help with the postage of mailing out boxes. We also make ditty bags. In a couple of weeks we will start cutting/sewing the christmas stockings which we usually make close to 1000. They appreciate anything that you can send. Hopefully we will once again make small kids quilt that will be given out to children in Iraq. Dennise
Old 06-25-2010, 12:29 PM

patchesfabrics.com go into philantropy and then Operation mend UCLA That the easiest way. Or go to search in here and type in for the troops.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:53 PM

My son was stationed in Ft. Stewart last year. He is now in Arizona. I have a quilt top I would like to donate in reds, whites and blues to your guild. Do I need to add batting and backing also? The top is done, I just need to know if I should complete the whole thing or what. Thanks,