Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Sweatshirt quilt help.

Sweatshirt quilt help.

Any suggestions on sandwiching my lap size sweatshirt quilt? Will batting be too heavy? or just back it with a cotton fabric? Have never done one before using sweatshirts,have made T-shirt one.Any thoughts on this will be greatly appreciated....
    Mary

Blog Entries
    IMHO, the batting will make the quilt too thick and heavy, and difficult to quilt... but it really depends on what you are going for.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I have a pattern for making sweatshirts out of quilted fabric. The best sandwich stuff would be prewashed flannel and backed with muslin. Batting would be too much, unless it was as thin as flannel. Sweatshirt fleece does have some give and being a knit, it does breathe.

Even the wrong interfacing on sweatshirt knit can make it too stiff.

I have just fininshed 2 tee shirt quilts and the lady requested no batting and no quilting and to use sweatshirt fabric for the backing. I was a little skeptical at first but they both came out really nice. I thought that with no quilting they would be really "floppy" but the layers stay together pretty good. I did go around the edge with a 1/2" seam and that seems to help. She really liked them.

I never made a quilt out of sweatshirts and just said no to clients. I felt that the material is just too heavy. You just have to decide what your DSM can handle.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Button View Post
    I have just fininshed 2 tee shirt quilts and the lady requested no batting and no quilting and to use sweatshirt fabric for the backing. I was a little skeptical at first but they both came out really nice. I thought that with no quilting they would be really "floppy" but the layers stay together pretty good. I did go around the edge with a 1/2" seam and that seems to help. She really liked them.
    Which side was out? Never thought of this, but my bet is the fuzzy side of the sweatshirt fabric "grabs" the t-shirt fabric. Might have to try this one day. Thanks for the idea!

Blog Entries
    I agree with QuiltnNan. It might be very heavy with a batting.

Prism99,
    I put the fuzzy side inside and yes it kind of sticks to the top so it not really "floppy" .