Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Take 12 jacket >

Take 12 jacket

Take 12 jacket

Old 11-14-2015, 03:28 PM

Default Take 12 jacket

I'm not quite understanding how the outer fabrics go on. I have all of my lining pieces cut now. I'm adding a layer of thin flannel to the lining so it'll be warmer.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:01 PM

Is this the pattern you are referring to?

http://garagesalehomepage.com/ItemsD...Sewing+Pattern

What do the instructions say?
Old 11-14-2015, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by osewme View Post
Is this the pattern you are referring to?

http://garagesalehomepage.com/ItemsD...Sewing+Pattern

What do the instructions say?

That's the one. I'm not exactly sure how the outside pieces are sewn to the lining and the instructions don't seem real clear either. Or it could just be me.
Old 11-14-2015, 07:25 PM

I have made several jackets, not this one, but I would make the lining as one piece and the outside as one piece and then sew them from the front all the way around. Leave an opening at the middle back bottom so you can turn it.
Let the sleeve ends open until you turn everything. Then fit it to you, maybe the sleeves are too long, and after finding out it fits, finish the sleeves. I would put shoulder pads in for myself, maybe you want to, but secure the shoulders together. If you want to, topstitch the lining down all the way around. Good luck.
Old 11-14-2015, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by ragamuffin View Post
I have made several jackets, not this one, but I would make the lining as one piece and the outside as one piece and then sew them from the front all the way around. Leave an opening at the middle back bottom so you can turn it.
Let the sleeve ends open until you turn everything. Then fit it to you, maybe the sleeves are too long, and after finding out it fits, finish the sleeves. I would put shoulder pads in for myself, maybe you want to, but secure the shoulders together. If you want to, topstitch the lining down all the way around. Good luck.
That's what's different about this one. The outer fabrics are pieced to the lining.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:15 PM
Power Poster

I don't know about that particular pattern, but when I made a quilted jacket I sewed the fabric to flannel that was cut in the shape of the jacket pieces, much like paper piecing, placing the first piece on the flannel, then sewing the next piece upside down with the edges matched, pressing it open, etc. When all the piecing was finished the front, back, and sleeves were sewn together and then a lining (nylon, silk, some such material) was sewn in like ragamuffin describes.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:20 PM

Do you think they might have done the sections as QAYG & then serged them together?

That was my original thought looking at it, except for the bottom of the jacket which looks like it was done stitch & flip.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:28 PM

Oh okay. That makes sense now. This one is finished with a hem and a band around the front and neck and the sleeves. Since it's put together that way you have to finish the seams.
Old 11-16-2015, 11:41 AM

Just make sure you preshrink the flannel several times so that it will still fit you when finished.
Flannel is notorious for heavy shrinking.