Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tee shirt quilt >

Tee shirt quilt

Tee shirt quilt

Old 03-17-2020, 03:39 AM

Default Tee shirt quilt

My daughter would like to make a tee shirt quilt. Can you make a tee shirt quilt out of nothing but tee shirts- back and front?
Old 03-17-2020, 03:53 AM
Power Poster

The reason you use fusible on the back of T shirt blocks is so they don’t stretch when you sew them together. You can just sew them without but it but it will be tricky. If you have a serger, you could serge them together like any knit fabric. You could also sash them with regular quilting cotton to limit the edges stretching if you you use tons of straight pins.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:47 AM

I have also seen where the back and front are treated as one and the quilt is sewn together like a rag quilt. I don't think there is any batting. Would make a nice light blanket.
Old 03-17-2020, 02:49 PM

Don't do it! Tee shirt quilts are very heavy and have very thick seams. I don't think you could find a quilter who would agree to quilt it with tee shirts and on the front and back.
Old 03-17-2020, 05:11 PM

T-shirts quilts became the bane of my quilting life when I started making them for others, post-retirement! I started first cutting the logos out of the shirts(front or back)with at least 4" extra (more if I'm doing multi-size blocks using pocket sized logos, etc).
I suggest you either use graph paper or a computer design program like EQ8 to plan a multi-size blocks quilts before you start cutting so you know how they will fit. If you have some pocket-sized logos you can sometimes applique them onto a related shirt. If you don't to bother with work of the multi-size blocks, try to find t-shirts that the logos are either same or multiples of your largest blocks (i.e. all 14" blocks. Or some 12" and some 6" blocks in same quilt)
2nd I apply the fuseable--favorite is Pellon ShapeFlex and 2nd is Pellon 911FF or similar. I then trim these down to the size that I plan to use to piece.
While piecing the blocks/sashings I work in either rows or columns to avoid Y seams.
Quilting is difficult when you have 2 layers of t-shirts and fuseables and batting to go through by hand or machine. If you do decide to use t-shirts on the back, I suggest you tie the quilt instead of either hand or machine quilting. Good luck--fun memoirs!
Old 03-17-2020, 05:31 PM

I made a t-shirt quilt using the fronts of the shirts for the front and the backs for the back. It came out great. Of course I stabilized all the t-shirts, and I even used small leftover pieces of the shirts for fillers, and borders. I used a thin batting, and it turned out to be a very heavy quilt. My grandson loves it! I had no trouble machine quilting it, except for the rubbery logos on the shirts which I learned (from this board) to quilt using tissue paper so that the presser foot didn't stick.
Old 03-18-2020, 09:06 AM

I don't see why you can't use them on front and back as long as they are well stabilized on the pieces you are using.I would include stabilizing the sashing on both sides with this just to insure there is not any movement. This would make the quilting easier. I don't know about LA quilting both sides. FMQ if the quilt is basted with Elmer's Washable School Glue should hold in in position while you quilt.