Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tell me why I should NOT sell my Janome 300e embroidery machine >

Tell me why I should NOT sell my Janome 300e embroidery machine

Tell me why I should NOT sell my Janome 300e embroidery machine

Old 01-06-2012, 06:01 PM

Default Tell me why I should NOT sell my Janome 300e embroidery machine

Hi all....This forum has been a blessing to me since I started sewing/quilting almost 2 years ago. I don't post very often but I am on here every single day and constanting bragging about what all I've learned from all of you.

Well, now I'm asking for personal help. I bought a Janome 300e Embroidery machine last year and have hardly use it. I decided shortly after I got it that maybe I should have gotten the 350e and maybe I'd use it more. Well, after researching and almost making a trade I realized that it has a few more bells and whistles but won't make a big difference in embroidering. On my 300 I use Compact Flash cards (512 mb) and the big difference with the 350 is that it has a USB port and you can use a flash drive. BUT, no larger than 1 gb. My two 512 mb cards hold just as many designs as the 1 GB, so that's not really a big deal. Then a dealer told me that even tho the 300 is an older model it is built much better than the newer 350.

Every other day I think I am going to sell it because I don't know what ever gave me the idea to buy it and what things I thought I'd do with it. I think it was one of those really spur of the minute decisions (with a good talking sales person). I would love to have some of you that have the 300 to post pics of some of the things you can do....or maybe tell me that you had one and feel the same as I do.....why did I buy this in the first place?

I guess I also need to know how many different stabilizers you need to have and if you always have to use the more expensive embroidery thread.

I know this seems like silly delima but I keep thinking that if I'm not really going to use it I should sell it and buy a better "take with" little Janome. I go to a lot of quilt guilds and my Janome 6600 is too heavy. I got a little Gem Gold but would rather have the Gem Platinium 720 or a new little Janome that I saw in a quilt shop yesterday........whilch is really gotten me thinking about what I should do.

So sorry for the LONG post but would love some input. Thanks! Pat
Old 01-07-2012, 03:26 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Don't keep it if you don't use it. I get embroidery machine envy sometimes when I see the pretty blocks that people make, but I know it would sit around 95% of the time, so never took the plunge. Get what you want.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:32 PM
BMP

I am thinking of selling my Embroidery module to my Bernina, I have never used it and seems to be too complicated to me ....
Old 01-07-2012, 04:35 PM

I have an inexpensive Brother Embroidery machine that I use when I get the urge. It is the PE 150 and with my ultimate box can do everything I need. If you really don't feel that you will use then sell it. You are the only one that can make yourself happy with your decision. I don't have any pics to show, but I have seen some beautiful work here on the board with a round robin from last year with snow flakes etc. I mainly use it for aprons, shirts etc, but after seeing some of the blocks on here, I will definitely try them.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:38 PM
Banned

out the door it goes...money is hard to come by...why tie up on something that does NOT make you happy...
Old 01-08-2012, 06:56 AM

I'm sorry, I'd at least try it before I got rid of it or got a more expensive one. You don't have to spend a fortune on thread; it depends on the project as to what thread and stablizer you use. I did free standing lace and emblibrary.com said that polyester thread was better so I had some cone thread that I had for over 20 yrs and used it; worked great. I did a nativity scene and used rayon for it; different threads, different stablizers. I like creating different things and even though I havn't used it as much as I thought I would I know that it will be used more as time allows. At least I gave it a try. Buying a more expensive machine won't mean you'll like it better. Try the one you have first since alot of people on here say it's a good machine and if you like the concept then go bigger and better.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:01 AM

Free up a couple of days and really play with your machine. I have a Janome 10000 and love it.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:12 AM
Power Poster

Does the LQS have classes on the machine you bought? That would be the first place I would look. I know that my LQS that sells Bernina has an embroidery class that meets for sew and share. The girls really get wonderful tips on how to use the features and seeing everyone's samples is really encouraging. Hopefully someone will posts samples of their work from the same machine you have to encourage your use of it.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
out the door it goes...money is hard to come by...why tie up on something that does NOT make you happy...
my thoughts exactly-
Old 01-08-2012, 08:21 AM

I have the 300E and love it. When I first got the machine, like yours it just set for quite some time. Albeit, I don't use the machine everyday but super happy that I have it. I do have Embird and create most all of my own designs. Whenever I need a gift for someone, I embroider something special just for them.
As far as stabilizers, I buy most all of mine from Walmart. I mostly buy lightweight fusible Pellon and a mid weight tear away. So far this has worked out just fine for me.
Regarding threads, I mostly use the C&C embroidery threads but if I don't want a shine on the embroidery, I use Maxi-Lock serger thread. I do use the Maxi-Lock serger thread as my bobbin thread.
If you want to embroidery on something with loft, towels or fleece, I do suggest using a water soluable on top to keep the stitches from sinking into the item. DO NOT buy a lot of it. Humidity can make it a globby mess.
If you want to embroidery on knits I do suggest a "sticky back" stabilizer. You only hoop the stabilizer, and you stick your project on top of the hoop.
If I can be further help to you, please let me know. I'm more than happy to help fellow sewists.