Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Terial Magic Magic Spray has been recommended to me instead of Best Press >

Terial Magic Magic Spray has been recommended to me instead of Best Press

Terial Magic Magic Spray has been recommended to me instead of Best Press

Old 05-02-2021, 07:00 AM
Power Poster

I noticed all the starch sprays says fabric finish now. Magic Sizing has changed too. I found this for $14 a gallon. It's used by dry cleaners.

Old 05-02-2021, 07:03 AM
Power Poster

I use Terial and it washes out as far as I can tell. It's made to be used once on fabric, I wouldn't keep repeating spraying the same fabric with it.
Old 05-02-2021, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by mcadwell View Post
Well, I just spent an inordinate amount of time looking for the Niagara spray starch for you ladies and the only one I found was a bottle on a Spanish Ebay page for $75.00 + shipping (unsure if American dollars).. I tried to help (so much for my good deed for the day). Sorry I couldn't find it for you.

I am seriously going to try using vodka. As I said in an earlier post, I have lotso allergies, can't do cornstarch, and what I've been using is expensive. Would like to find something affordable that at least gives me the same crispness as the sizing spray I've been using.

Waitaminnut, maybe I should try a cornstarch recipe using rice flour or potato starch...
Has anyone tried that?
Niagara is making some type of spray "starch" again. I saw it at Kroger's a few weeks ago. I'm been making my own spray starch with liquid starch in a Best Press bottle so I'm not interested in buying Niagara now.
Old 05-02-2021, 07:16 AM

I've used Terial Magic. It stiffens but does wash out - with the caveat that if you apply too much you may have to wash it more than once. If I don't want the fabric really stiff I water it down. If you dilute with water you will have to shake it occasionally as it does separate.

I've never used PerfectSew though.
Old 05-02-2021, 07:29 AM
Power Poster

I still have boxe of the Argo powder starch for back up. A little grocery store where I use to live sold it. I have several gallons of Sta Flo I dilute and use for spray starch. It's still easy to find in the half gallon jugs. I put a little vodka in the Sta Flo. Vodka changes when heated (ironed). It is used to make pie crust flaky and in making cookie brittle so I figured it would help with the stiffness for fabric.
Old 05-02-2021, 08:23 AM

I just found the mother lode of homemade starches/stabilizers/glues:
http://verascustomquilts.blogspot.co...arch-glue.html
Old 05-02-2021, 08:27 AM

nice sites mcadwell and our workbench!

I've wanted to try potato vodka but it is expensive here in central MS. Some of you have said it doesn't really work. Time for home made! The missing Niagara might be because of our trade problem with China. Lots of things I expect to see still haven't repopulated our store shelves. I did find this in amazon just now.
Attached Thumbnails niagara-nonaerosol.jpg  

Last edited by ibex94; 05-02-2021 at 08:39 AM.
Old 05-02-2021, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by KathyM View Post
Why am I having a hard time finding the spray on HSN?
The HSN thread is from 2020. HSN isn't carrying it right now.
Old 05-02-2021, 09:22 AM
Power Poster

You don't need potato vodka. There is no potato left in it after processing. I have no idea what vodka costs. I keep a bottle in my pantry for cooking but my husband buys it at the liquor store. I get the creeps when I walk in to one. I don't know why. The bottles are so pretty. LOL
Old 05-02-2021, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
You don't need potato vodka. There is no potato left in it after processing. I have no idea what vodka costs. I keep a bottle in my pantry for cooking but my husband buys it at the liquor store. I get the creeps when I walk in to one. I don't know why. The bottles are so pretty. LOL
Onebyone is absolutely correct, there is no starch in potato vodka. Vodka was originally made with cereal grains (wheat, rye, corn). All of these contain starch so potato vodka is not special that way. NO vodka contains starch because the liquid is distilled to remove water and impurities and concentrate the alcohol. That is good news because you don't have to buy vodka to add to your homemade Best Press.