Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there any color...

Blog Entries
    for me red, orange, and yellow are hard for me to work wirh. the only time I use red is in a red and white quilt or red work. Yellow VERY sparing, and even less orange.

There's no colors I truly hate-I just don't like "muddy colors". I prefer clear colors and tend towards light and mid tones. But I do like a distinct contrast because I feel it shows off the piecing and quilting better

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by leaha
    for me red, orange, and yellow are hard for me to work wirh. the only time I use red is in a red and white quilt or red work. Yellow VERY sparing, and even less orange.
    I have just the fabric for you (sarcasm)! It's a Hoffman kaliedoscope print in the big random zigzags of red, orange, and yellow :twisted: Actually, I have another fabric from them in a similar colorway, but with circles. When you do need it, it comes in handy having it. See below - the long spikes.

Actually, there are a lot of fabrics in that compass I would NEVER have used when I started quilting!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by ShowMama
    PINK!
    Even though I'm a girl, I have never liked pink. Of course, I've never been a "girly girl" either....just a good old tomboy.
    However, I do keep a very few small pieces of pink fabric in my stash because sometimes you just need a certain color to make everything look right.
    I completely agree I do not like working with PINK!! I have only a few peices in my stash. Once in a while someone asks me to make something and they request PINK ... all I can think of is "why did it have to be pink!".

I'd have to say white is my #1 least favorite with a very close second being purple.

I think I dislike yellow the most - except for when used in combination with red and orange (then it reminds me of a sunset and it's really nice).

Blog Entries
    Raspberry & lime. Purples!

It is funny to see so many don't care for the color yellow. Years ago I read that babies tend to cry more in yellow rooms, which is odd because it is such a popular color for babies. I was in the Jinny Beyer shop looking for a yellow tonal fabric a few months back and I asked the clerk to direct me to the yellow fabric because I couldn't see any and she said, " Nope, Jinny doesn't care for yellow." Thought that was odd, but then again, it is her shop. I looked around and sure enough, in more than a dozen visits I had never noticed there was no yellow fabric and none of the border prints she is so well known for have any yellow coloring or tone to them at all. And now I know that apparently she isn't alone in her dislike of the color yellow.

btw, To answer your question, while quilt shop shopping I have yet to find a color I don't like :-D . Maribeth

orange, even for Halloweeen things I have trouble with it

Blog Entries
    I don't mind yellow but I think it needs to be used in very small amounts or it just screams at you.

Regarding Jinny Beyer, I've never really been partial to her fabrics. Now I know why. I like autumn colors which contain yellow in it's various shades and tones.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflywing
    is that a karate cat i see?
    Actually, a "DANCE, like nobody's watching" cat. Not my picture, but I thought it was cute.

Banned
    White........or any cream color.

Billy

Quiltilicious your quilt is beautiful but when I first looked, on my monitor it looks like a pizza LOL--yes, I'm getting dinner ready and I'm hungry. I do love those the way you've used them-it's hard to work with some color combos but you nailed it.

I don't think there is a color I don't like, but there are color combinations that don't do anything for me -- peach/country blue for example.

The trick that really helped me see past my favorites was a trip to the paint store-- yep the paint store. Those free paint chip brochures have wonderful professionally coordinated color combination. I will pick up and few of those and march off to the fabric store when I need to work a color that is not at the top of my list.

Blog Entries
    I like a lot of colors, but some are harder on my eyes than others. Neons are tough for me. And black is hard for me to work with.

I love colors bright and bold. I like to look at quilts with pastels I think they are pretty but when I go to select fabric I pass by those bolts every time. I don't care at all for those brown/tea washed colors - you know the ones that were so popular in the early 90's - WOW that makes me feel old.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by janRN
    Quiltilicious your quilt is beautiful but when I first looked, on my monitor it looks like a pizza LOL--yes, I'm getting dinner ready and I'm hungry. I do love those the way you've used them-it's hard to work with some color combos but you nailed it.
    Hahahaha It looked even more like pizza when I was cutting the wedges :lol: :lol: :lol:

that fabric actually reminds me of lava, which is why I've used it for the surface of the sun :-D

I don't think I've ever run across any color I don't like in quilting. I'm not a real pastel person, I love the vibrants more, but that tells you why I'm still working on my neice' wedding quilt almost a year later, right?

About the time I think I don't like a color someone on the board posts a quilt that takes my breath away, in that color. I am not a blue person but I have seen some absolutely gorgeous quilts posted in blues. So I have to say that I don't have a color that I don't like anymore.

probaly orange, it just isnt a favorite of mine, but I do like the light oranges from the 30's.

Well, I'm a yellow person. Have a bright blue and yellow kitchen and it makes me happy just standing in it.

I also did my first childs room in pale yellow and he was the best baby and slept through the night no problem.

I use it tons in my quilts because it will coordinate with almost any other color if you have the right shade.

I use to think I couldn't work with black ( to depressing) but I am now working on a hot pink and black quilt and I'm loving it. I guess you just need to get the right combination for any color to make it work for you.

PS. I'm not bothered by all you yellow haters. You'll come around evidently. :-)

Blog Entries
    oh those fabrics are lovely!! :D :D
    I do not hate any color, in fact I love little yellow house's, very drawn to them! I am not crazy about pea green.BUT with coral it just makes the coral pop! And in a scrap quilt it is a great place for the eye to rest in your quilt.As you might tell from my avatar Which is ALL my hand dyed fabrics, I used red, yellow, and orange> they are just hard for me to use, but when I think a quilt calls for them I use them.
    Grape is another color I use a lot of, it brings out the other colors and makes them look even better.

Blog Entries
    Peach...yuck..love the fruit..hate the color.

I realize I don't have any greys in my stash. It's not that I don't like it, just don't see too many I like.

I would agree with the Mustard color. But for me it is more solid color fabric. I would rather use a tone on tone print than a solid. I think solids make my quilt look naked, like I settled because I couldn't find the right print. But others could make a complete quilt of solids and they are beautiful!!!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast