Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Things I do differently than I did a year ago... >

Things I do differently than I did a year ago...

Things I do differently than I did a year ago...

Old 11-29-2011, 07:31 AM

This is a great thread! I have been quilting for about 10 years and have fun making up my own designs then figuring out how to cut them out! I have worked on several paper pieced quilts, but this year I have almost finished my first string quilt. From disliking to applique I have progressed this year to loving it. I joined a Guild and a Bee this fall (after telling myself I never would ) and joined this forum. I am so used to this new look that I can't remember what the forum was like before! I have learned from all of you so many new things, and am grateful. I have been contemplating Album Quilts and have decided I'm going to go for it. I really, really want to make one....so.....I'm working on getting my UFO finished. Then my New Years resolution is to start my AQ. It may not be a traditional one but will be my way, and I will love it.
Everyone has been wonderfully helpful to me on here. Thank you, and Happy Holidays.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:51 AM

I have been sewing since I was five years old.....quilting for perhaps the last forty years.....and I am always amazed at how each year I do things better than I did before. What was once acceptable and good enough is not any more because I know I can do better !!! I love learning new patterns, that has become my passion this year. My goal was to try a new pattern every month this past year, and for the most part I was very successful in the endeavor..... and I mean, find, start and finish. I do not believe in UFO's....they take up space
Old 11-30-2011, 04:25 AM

In the past year I have learned to love starch. I don't know why I never used it before but man that stuff rocks!
I also now ruler fold my fabric so it is nice and neat, pretty and organized in my shelves.
Those were my two new to me things this year. I also made friends with binding thanks to the binding miter tool. love love love that thing! I always get nice, crisp corners when I use it.

I'm moving in to a new craft room next week. I hope to add some new positive habits in there - like putting things away after I use them. That would be nice!!
Old 11-30-2011, 04:39 AM

I think one of the best things about quilting is the learning process. We're always learning something.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:27 AM

Its been a year of recycling. I've purchased a used Babylock, got a ton of shelving and cabinets at rummage sales as well as a wheeled tote for my Babylock. (Rummage sales are now my main recreation during the season.) I enjoy going back and looking at the pictures of my first quilt compared to now. It's nice to know I'm improving at something I love to do.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:50 PM

I made seasonal table runners for a church Secret Pal this year - a reversible runner every two months. Looking at pics - and thinking about - the January - April ones makes me cringe .... the later ones were SO much nicer!