Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Third Weekend in October" Quilt...Have Questions >

"Third Weekend in October" Quilt...Have Questions

"Third Weekend in October" Quilt...Have Questions

Old 10-26-2015, 06:17 PM

Question "Third Weekend in October" Quilt...Have Questions

I realize there is another thread about this pattern, but I need some help understanding it. I have the original, full sized pattern (from 1999 I believe). These are my questions/concerns:

1) I don't understand why you begin in the center of the quilt. If it is truly made of "9 patches", shouldn't you be able to start the quilt in either upper corner? Starting in the upper left corner, seems to make more sense to me. What (if anything) will go wrong if I do this?

2) Can someone explain the paper piecing instructions? I've always paper pieced, but have never sewn on the dotted lines. What are the solid lines in the blocks for? I just don't understand these directions.

Sorry to be so dense...my brain is "full" and just can't seem to wrap itself around these directions. LOL

Thanks in advance for ALL your help and suggestions!!!
Old 10-26-2015, 11:21 PM

1) as you sew the fabric gets moved slightly. Try on a piece of fabric with rows all going the same direction. The fabric will poof up. It will also do this if you fail to use a walking foot. So start in the centre and the fabric will move out equally to the edges. That is why the batting is bigger than the top and the back is also bigger because of this movement.

2) the line is for cutting the dots for sewing.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:50 AM
Power Poster

I just bought the pattern after seeing the previous thread about it. The layout of the blocks is so tiny that I can't read it at all. I'm going to try enlarging it and hope that I can read it then. When you say you have the "full sized" pattern, does that mean there was an earlier version that was bigger?

Dottymo is right, I think, about the dotted lines being for sewing. But I also don't understand why you would start in the center for piecing. You're putting small sections up on a design wall, so it would seem to be easier (to me) to start in a corner and work your way across or down. I don't know when I will start on this, but I would like to make the quilt wider, so I will probably come up with a version in EQ before I start.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:00 AM

I just went in and looked at the quilt. That will really be beautiful.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:17 AM

I'm wondering which quilt you are talking about. I can't seem to find prior postings on it. Can you help me find what words to search for?
Old 10-27-2015, 12:45 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Pennyhal View Post
I'm wondering which quilt you are talking about. I can't seem to find prior postings on it. Can you help me find what words to search for?
http://www.ruthpowersartquilts.com/s...tail.php?ID=47
Old 10-27-2015, 01:48 PM

I believe the posting was something like "Beautiful Fall Quilt" here on QB.

When I said "original" quilt, I meant I had the 84" x 104" pattern, not the wallhanging size.

I enlarged the grid on my home printer. I basically folded the page in quarters and copied at 150%. Then I taped the enlarged quarters together (making sure I taped them in the right places) to make an enlarged pattern. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the help. I am going to make a couple of "sample" blocks and see how they work up. I am tempted to just make this a row-by-row...but not too sure if things will poof out of shape or not. Oh well...I am not quite ready to start this quilt anyway. Still have a big WIP to finish (Thimbleberries "Pansy Parade").
Old 10-27-2015, 02:47 PM

I bought the wallhanging size, but haven't taken the time to read through it yet. Please post your progress, I will be following!
Old 10-27-2015, 04:11 PM

When I made this quilt pattern, I started at one corner and proceeded from there in sections. I made it in 16-patches, not 9 patches. I made sections, not rows. I re-drafted the PP blocks and sewed them according to alternate PP directions, not according to the pattern directions.

Read the directions thoroughly, then make your own quilt!
Old 10-27-2015, 05:11 PM

Thank you all for your input!

This is the next quilt on my to-do list. I have to finish a Thimbleberries quilt that I began a couple of months ago. I am trying to be disciplined...one project at a time! Don't know if I can keep to this. I can try though. (Does this mean I have to finish the other three WIPs I have going?) LOL