Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
??? For those that use printers to make your quilt labels >

??? For those that use printers to make your quilt labels

??? For those that use printers to make your quilt labels

Old 03-25-2011, 02:46 PM

I hate to admit it, but in all the years I've quilted I have only put a label on one quilt. I know, SHAME, SHAME, SHAME on me. I've been trying to conform. I've bought everything to print labels from my computer. What I want to know is: How long does the ink last? Do you have to treat it a special way to keep it from fading? Thanks! I can't wait to hear what you have to say. I also have on my wishlist the Pigma pens. One day.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by quilterguy27
I hate to admit it, but in all the years I've quilted I have only put a label on one quilt. I know, SHAME, SHAME, SHAME on me. I've been trying to conform. I've bought everything to print labels from my computer. What I want to know is: How long does the ink last? Do you have to treat it a special way to keep it from fading? Thanks! I can't wait to hear what you have to say. I also have on my wishlist the Pigma pens. One day.
I haven't put a label on mine either, except the star squares for Adrian's quilt and the One Star Project, I guess I don't think mine are that great and my kids know what I've done. LOL
Old 03-25-2011, 03:14 PM

If you are printing your labels on fabric directly, are you using the sheets made for inkjet printers? They are treated and won't fade or wash out. You can treat your own fabric with bubblejetset liquid-check it out online. You can also use the type of iron- on paper that has to be printed in reverse to print out ok on fabric. It makes sort of plasticy feeling labels.
DO label your quilts, they will last more than one generation and the history is part of what makes them a treasure in your family. --(from a former Parma resident)
Old 03-25-2011, 03:47 PM

I find a font that I like, usually a script, make up my label, trace it onto fabric with a pigma pen and then heat set it to make sure. I don't do it often but that is what I do. ♥
Old 03-25-2011, 06:07 PM
Power Poster

i would always use my emb machine for a nice label. but i've moved twice in two years and it's still put away. can't wait to get it out again.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:04 PM

It sounds like there are several ways to go about it. I just need to pick one and commit to it. Please keep the suggestions coming. I haven't decided what to try yet. Thanks!
Old 03-25-2011, 07:16 PM

I use the bubblejet set, I treat about a half yard of white 100% cotton fabric. When I need a lable I iron a piece of fabric to freezer paper to run through printer
(ink jet ). :-)
Old 03-25-2011, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by LAB55
I use the bubblejet set, I treat about a half yard of white 100% cotton fabric. When I need a lable I iron a piece of fabric to freezer paper to run through printer
(ink jet ). :-)
What do you treat it with?