Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thoughts from Patrice >

Thoughts from Patrice

Thoughts from Patrice

Old 11-04-2011, 06:00 PM

This looks better than the first day. Please remember some members are not technically proficient and may have difficulty learning new things. Members have needed live help to understand how to navigate the old format (I enlisted my son) and this change is more difficult for some older members. There is also the withdrawalfactor---those of us who became depended on an easy QB fix just 'loose' it when the fix is denied. You all were ready to help frustrated, upset newbies to quilting but there are supercilious sneers for those who are upset and frustrated QB members.

The volume of complaint and frustration is a measure of how much members love and value participation in QB. If they didn't care they'd just quietly stop participating.

Last edited by Greenheron; 11-04-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:02 PM

In my years in Corporate America I saw many changes..all were met with reasons why the change was bad. It always ended up being just fine. Change is good for everyone..it keeps minds active..I know we will learn to love these changes and we will wonder why we didn't "get it" in the beginning. My thought is to just keep "clicking" and see what you can find. It is getting easier already. Great work, Patrice!!
Old 11-04-2011, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by BluegrassGurl View Post
Having been in the Information Technology field for over 15 years, I can completely understand long, long days.... and all nighters. They are no fun for anyone. I can also appreciate improving systems by placing them on a better platform, implementing a more robust security mechanism, and making them more appealing.

It is a simple fact that typically we, humans, do not like change. We are creatures of habit and find comfort in what we know and find familiar. There are, however, many measures that we (as IT professionals) can take to ensure our users will not experience such a shock to a new way of doing things. By not preparing the users..... you will, inevitably, receive much negative feedback. Who can blame them?
Well said.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:20 PM

I hope we all can learn to get through this and go back to why we love this board. I know I will.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:21 PM
Banned

I appreciate all the hard work. I truly do. When someone puts their heart and soul into something....it's needs to be recognized. So Thank you!
Old 11-04-2011, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post

I stopped screaming during the beta tests.
Ok. I will admit there are some things that will never thrill me. I'm human, so I have my own set of quirks and preferences.

BUT we have so many things here we didn't have before.
On top of that, there are more ways in which I, as CM, can help members with problems that i couldn't help with before.

That's one reason the help docs are so slow in coming. I am clearing a backlog of help requests behind the scenes. (That should not be mistaken for a complaint. it's simply an explanation.)

I am convinced that, over time, I personally get over my own minor peeves. There are just too many positives for me to end up feeling otherwise.

We are safer here than we were before. We have new toys to play with.

The developers are very sensitive to a few of our needs, in particular. The color scheme - as it effects members with vision issues - is one of them. Our health and welfare is a top priority. The smaller things will just have to wait. They have already increased the default font size and changed the stark white to a soft cream. They will do what they can to improve things further for our special needs members.
-----------------------------------

Odd that you overlook the fact that we didn't have an ignore feature before.
------------------------------------

The developers have poured themselves into this project. They beat their brains out. They worked overtime - at least once all the way 'round the clock. They sacrificed weekends.

And ... yes ... they have read some of the horrible, vicious, selfish and downright smelly things some of you have posted.

I would say I'm embarrassed and ashamed. But I won't.

Instead, I will extend my heartfelt gratitude to the members who are slogging through our period of adjustment with grace and generosity. You are the true representatives of our community. I am proud to be among you and proud to call you "family".
I don't mind the change, the board looks better. I hope you will find it easier to manage the community as a whole. I'm anxious for resolve regarding the availibility of the swap activity link and the suspension of the mass communications between participants.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:26 PM

I'm having a time of it to find things but I'm still trying. As you get order, stark white is hard on our eyes, and that is something no one can change. Tinker
Old 11-04-2011, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post

I stopped screaming during the beta tests.
Ok. I will admit there are some things that will never thrill me. I'm human, so I have my own set of quirks and preferences.

And ... yes ... they have read some of the horrible, vicious, selfish and downright smelly things some of you have posted.

I would say I'm embarrassed and ashamed. But I won't.

Instead, I will extend my heartfelt gratitude to the members who are slogging through our period of adjustment with grace and generosity. You are the true representatives of our community. I am proud to be among you and proud to call you "family".
PatriceJ and all those working to keep our board going,
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Keep your chin up! We will learn the new board and soon we will wonder how we ever lived without this new site. It's hard to change old habits and even just a new look can be hard for some but....

WE ARE QUILTERS! We have learned to be patient, pay attention to detail and yes, grumble some on our way to a beautiful end but we always get there. Your work and diligence on our behalf is very much appreciated by all of us even if we don’t always say it.
• Please don’t let it get you down.
• Remember to take time for yourself, and
• Know your quilt board buddies send their support.

Patticake
Old 11-04-2011, 06:38 PM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

Originally Posted by Xstitshmom View Post
I will admit that the first look at the place, I didn't like it. I was also very frustrated with trying to maneuver the place. I'm slowly finding my way around and in a few weeks I won't know any different.

I hope I didn't say anything too offensive, but if I did, I offer my apologies.
Ditto to all of that!!

Patrice, I can't imagine how frustrating this had been for all of you who have worked so hard on this. You should just
come out and tell us all to quit our groanin' and moanin' and get over it (but why can't I get a smiley face here??).

Maneuvering through the site gets easier each time I try. I'm sure I'm missing lots of wonderful features, and doing things in a more difficult way than necessary. But that's my problem, and I'll figure it out. And if I spend less time on the board, maybe I'll actually get some quilting done!

Last edited by patricej; 11-05-2011 at 04:02 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:38 PM

My late husband was a programmer, he did changes for the Air Force alot and would program to make things better for the customers (the troops and headquarters) I know what it takes to see someone pour their heart and soul into something that is so dear to them. So from a former programmers wife to all the programmers who made this program for us, for all the blood, sweat and tears and the testing, the pulling your hair out at times...THANK YOU!! for all your sacrifices.