Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread breaking on new Brother PE 770 >

Thread breaking on new Brother PE 770

Thread breaking on new Brother PE 770

Old 02-09-2011, 05:22 PM

I bought my embroidery machine around Christmas 2010. I bought it online and had to send it back to the dealer's in another state already. I just got it back yesterday and am still having the same problem. The thread keeps breaking in the no. threading area. I have to take off the cover in order to remove the broken thread. I am threading it properly. I know to raise the presser foot and open the shutter on step 4 when threading. I was just curious if any other PE 770 owners have had this problem. I removed the cover that is at the end of the machine that "hides" the no. 4 threading slot so I can more easily remove the thread when it breaks. I just got tired of constantly having to unscrew the cover to remove the broken thread. Anyone else with this problem? TIA
Old 02-09-2011, 05:41 PM

I have a PC8200 I bought in 1995. Thread breaks a lot. have had it serviced so many times. ordered a bobbin case. hope it solves the problem. the case had a nick on it and the thread would fray. So maybe check the case. I think it gets nicked from breaking needles. I'm really not very happy with my machine.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:56 PM

I just bought this machine and had the same problem, carried it back to the dealer I bought it from in another state and come to find out the Brother does not like coats and clark embroidery thread, I bought Robison-Anton thread. Have had no more problems. Hope this helps
Old 02-09-2011, 05:58 PM

I had the problem with my Singer Futura bobbin case doing the same thing, bought a Brother and changed my thread and have had no problems, I now use Robison-Anton thread, Coats and Clark keep breaking in the the new machine I bought which is a Brother, hope this helps
Old 02-09-2011, 05:59 PM

I have the same problem with my PE780D.

I was told not to use metallic threads EVER. I haven't since I took her in for service and I'm still having the same problem.

=( I just talk to the machine and promise breaks if she finishes the project she's working on.

kooky, I know.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:05 PM

oh i hate it when my toys break
Old 02-09-2011, 06:19 PM

I have the Brother PE700II and kept having thread breaks at first. You do need to watch the tension on the top as you thread it. Also you can clean the top thread feed by running a piece of unwaxed dental floss. Run it thru a couple of times. There might be some fuzzies in the thread guide. My machine doesn't like Coats and Clarks at all. It also doesn't like Sulky, especially the rayon. Make sure your bobbin case and area around it are lint free.

Hope this helps a little.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Eva Knight
I have a PC8200 I bought in 1995. Thread breaks a lot. have had it serviced so many times. ordered a bobbin case. hope it solves the problem. the case had a nick on it and the thread would fray. So maybe check the case. I think it gets nicked from breaking needles. I'm really not very happy with my machine.
I experience the same, needed a new bobbin case, problem solved.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:22 AM

I never use Coats and Clark. I have been using Poly X40 that I order from my dealer. I will definitely try the Robison Anton. I am very careful that I thread it correctly. I will try cleaning the top thread guide. Thanks everyone!
Old 02-10-2011, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by jetnica
I have the same problem with my PE780D.

I was told not to use metallic threads EVER. I haven't since I took her in for service and I'm still having the same problem.

=( I just talk to the machine and promise breaks if she finishes the project she's working on.

kooky, I know.
I had probs with metallic thread breaking all the time on my brand new Brother, so bought new metallic needles, still broke. most annoying so shared the prob with tutor at at my DS 's LQS and she suggested I wind my top thread on to a bobbin as well. Problem solved.