Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which thread do you use? >

Which thread do you use?

Which thread do you use?

Old 03-08-2011, 06:16 AM

I attended my guild meeting last night and they showed a DVD on thread quality and choice. Which thread do you prefer: Machine quilting thread? Hand quilting thread? Machine embroidery thread? Any brands to look out for?
Old 03-08-2011, 06:29 AM

I piece with Masterpiece by Superior Threads. Mostly because its a thin thread and I can get it in a big cone. I quilt with mostly Permacore, but use King Tut and Superiors machine quilting threads too. So Fine is a nice thinner thread. I like lots of colors, good stitch quality and a happy sewing machine. I'm sure you will get lots of opinions on this topic!
Old 03-08-2011, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by 1bzygma
I attended my guild meeting last night and they showed a DVD on thread quality and choice. Which thread do you prefer: Machine quilting thread? Hand quilting thread? Machine embroidery thread? Any brands to look out for?
Different thread for different uses, but I do believe a good thread makes the difference.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:53 AM

I live in the UK but I still get all my threads from over the pond from here: http://www.threadart.com/shop/category.aspx?catid=2 why?

1 Their prices are un-matchable
2 The quality is superb
3 Their service is first class

So I just don't bother with any other :thumbup:
Old 03-08-2011, 08:01 AM

I've started using Aurifil 50 wt cotton mako for piecing, 28-40 wt for quilting. LOVE this thread, will never use C&C, Gutermann again. Might use up the Mettler I already have. The 50 wt also seems great for hand appliqué. I also love Masterpiece by Superior for piecing and appliqué. They sell a bobbin donut full of various colors on bobbins which is great to have for hand appliqué. It's $29 now at Connecting Threads, $36 on the Superior site. I like the look and feel on their King Tut for quilting, but have only played with it on little samples, no big projects. I have tons of old C & C and Mettler hand quilting thread, no complaints there. DMC had a line of hand quilting thread which is great. I only have a few spools in a few colors left, don't think they make it anymore.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:11 AM

The DVD I watched last night was from Superior. The man said to watch out for Rayon because of washing. Also said you get what you pay for. I thought Gutermann was a good thread? I have been getting Isacord for machine embroidery, have a bunch of Robinson Anton also. I have only started quilting and bought Gutermann. I will ask the dealer, also, since my machine is in the shop with tension problems.