Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tie quilting

I have finished my quilts both ways.
    I don't care for ones tied on top of the quilt with knots, (only because my boys would make it a mission to lie in bed at night and untie them!)
    I prefer to"tie" using a crows foot stitch just like my mother and grandmother taught me. The thread passes between the stitches in between the layers of fabric. It is great, no threads distracting from the pattern of the quilt and a great puffy look of a tied quilt!

I usually quilt my quilts but made a scrappy one and it just called to be tied. It reminds me of a granny quilt and my family just loves it. We use it all the time. It just takes a certain type of quilt to be tied.

When I make T-Shirt quilts I use fat bat and tie with 3 strands of embroidery floss. I take an actual stitch and then tie it off with a square knot. There is no way I could hand quilt through all those thick layers of fabric when you consider the weight of the jersy knit most T-shirts are made out of plus the fusible interfacing you need to apply to keep them from stretching out of shape and the backing. My little #11 betweens would bend after just a few stitches. I have a hard enough time getting through all those layers just to do the ties. I tie every 3". I think it looks just fine but I too think of the end result as more of a comforter than a quilt. That doesn't stop me from calling it a quilt though!

I am going to try quilt as you go (QAYG) on my next T-shirt quilt. I will use warm and natural batting and free motion quilt to follow the design imprint of the T. I can't wait to get started on that one. Have most of the blocks already cut and prepped with interfacing. Should be an interesting new technique for me. I have not done QAYG yet

My very first quilt (which is still on my bed) is going strong..I've tied a few , some i've like,, some i havent.

Blog Entries
    I've only tied one, a king size. did it with embroidery thread. well first time, that came apart and i had to go back and tie with yarn.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have several tied quilts I made 20 years ago, still using them, made from our clothes. Never have had the ties come undone. Been washed many time.
    I do hand quilt, but it takes time.

keep it rock'in
    simple quilter :)

I used to do ALL of my quilts tied, my mother always tied. because its faster? cheaper? I dont know. since I have learned to hand quilt I still often tie, because they just turn out different... more cuddly, less formal.

Oklahoma Suzie has it right! square knot! and use a strong yarn, like red heart. yarns that feel soft tend to wear badly and fray weird.

tied is especially good for beginers, my first quilt with triangles is tied and NOBODY will ever know that my points dont match

I just finished quilting a charity quilt and I think it needs some more "holding" but I don't want to do an extravagant FM, so I am going to augment with a "tie" in each square.......in other words, it will be both machine quilted AND tied. I think that will work?

I used to tie all of my quilts, until I finally got brave enough to try machine quilting. I find that if the quilt is going to be washed often, quilted ones hold up better than tied ones.
    In our county fair, if it is tied it is called a comforter.

I tie all my quilts as well. I am not an experienced quilter yet and have not tried to machine quilt. I think my machine would not handle the task. I have tried a little hand quilting, but, when I do the top, the bottom stitches don't look even. One is larger then the other. So I tie and my quilts have with stood washings and children.
    Have a great day

Quote Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
    My mom differentiated between quilting and tying - she said one was a quilt, and the other a comforter. Regardless, both require love and a lot of effort! :thumbup: All of us children recieved comforters from Grandma as babies - for some of us, the ties became a comfort thing. My sister tended to rub a tie between her fingers. It helped her go to sleep.

I agree about the square knot. They stay in better.

Has anyone discovered how to keep ribbon tied? I used 1/16" ribbon to tie one for my (college age) daughter, and the ties are coming out.
    I did this for my daughters quilt we made together when she was around age 10. I tied with thin ribbon, put a drop of fabric glue - fabri-tac. it held up longer than the fabric. She used that quilt till the fabric wore so thin it had holes. But she loved it, so it was worth it.

Blog Entries
    All the time, thats the only way I used to do my quilts but remember i am self taught and started quilting from needing to be frugal.

Blog Entries
    Our baby charity ties most of their quilts. I'm not sure how a baby can get their fingers involved with the threads, as the threaded knots are of either pearl cotton or thicker crochet thread; and are about 4-6 inches apart; double-looped and tied with a square knot and then one more knot (left over right, right over left and then again left over right) They are washed and the remaining threads are about 1 and 1/2 in. long. These are utilitarian and seem to hold up well to numerous washings. We, too, use poly batting and ONLY cotton fabrics.

We use the 9-patch one yard baby quilt and the tying seems to work well with the seams, pattern and size.

Blog Entries
    The ribbon is probably of poly which doesn't hold a knot well... to keep the ribbons in place... perhaps tie the ribbon with the square knot plus one additional knot and then take a couple of stay stitches to secure it, either by hand or with the machine. Good luck.

I tie and double knot a lot of my quilts with embroidery floss. It stays nice after washing and stands up very well with repeated washings.

My grandsons call tied quilts "puffy quilts" and I agree, some quilts are made to be tied and some to be quilted. Usually I tie my scrap quilts. For some reason the tied quilts are more comfort quilts. I guess that is because they cuddle around you better than a quilted one. All of my kids and grandkids want one of each :!:

Blog Entries
    My mom and I do a lot of quilt tops. We tie most of them. We have 4 pieces of 2 x2 pine that my dad drilled holes in every few inches. We set it up on chairs and stretch the bottom tight then put on the batting and then the top and stretch and tie with yarn We tie every 4-6 inches depending on patteren. Have never had one come apart. My niece has one mom made her when she was born. Strawberry shortcake she is 33 and finally asked mom to "fix" the back as it was wearing out. I use batting from Oklee Quilting supply. Threw a piece in washer with out any covering with Blue Jeans and it came out the same way it went in. I love that company!!

So far I have tied all my quilts. #1. can't afford to have them quilted. #2. My mom and I used to do this together and it just
    kind of makes me feel she's looking down and smiling while I do this. #3. Haven't learned to to FM yet but it's on my agenda for
    this year as soon as my walking foot, that I ordered over 2 mos. ago comes in.

Blog Entries
    My mom embroidered all the outline of states, year it was admitted to union, state bird and flower in correct colors one different blocks then put make quilt top with blocks. Has made one for all the kids and grandkids. And starting on Great Grandkids. Like I said before we usually tie our quilts but she has those machine quilted. My son said “thanks grandma but we like your real quilts better. LOL I could have killed him but she took it as a compliment!! Someday he will know the value of the one she embroidered

I make quilts for Prayers And Squares Quilt Ministry (An International organization)for my church and all of them are tied. The ties are left long for anyone who wishes to pray for the recipient of the quilt to say a prayer and tie a knot. This is about the only time I tie quilts.

I agree with you and also I think they are warmer

Just clicked into this site and saw the question about tie quilts...made the mistake that you were blogging about necktie quilts. but that is what I am looking for a pattern for a quilt made from neckties..I am looking for my sister who is also a quilter. She thinks it was from a book called My Fathers Ties but doesn't remember the author. Any ideas out there? thanks

Our guild says that all 2-3 layered bed coverings are quilts. The quilting label comes from doing a pattern of stitches through all layers. :-D That is also a definition that I read in a quilting book when I was doing research for a quilt day presentation at our local library. ;-)
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like to tie a quilt if it's a gift for someone I don't have deep emotional connection to, ( mostly I feel like making a quilt to give away...) or if it's a simple desiogn that'll get alot of use, especially if it has a high loft batting. Man! that makes some great snuggling!

Dkm
    I use the decatur(spelling)knot.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast